Help! Problems cleaning screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AT.97, Sep 14, 2011.

1. AT.97 macrumors newbie

SO this is about my macbook pro screen. So what I did is I cleaned the screen with windex, water and LCD screen cleaner each one at least twice. NOw my macbook pro screen is marked and from all of those and it looks horrible. Please I need someone to tell me of a way that will get rid of all the marks on my screen. Please guys help needed ASAP. :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you've chemically damaged the screen you need to replace the screen. If there are streak marks all over the screen, try picking up a microfiber or lint-free cloth and wipe them off.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The lesson to be learned is there is never a reason to use anything other than water to dampen a microfiber cloth. Wipe the screen as needed at least once a week and it will never get dirty enough to require using a chemical.

I've used laptops for years without wasting a cent on "special cleaners" and my displays look as good as new.

Windex will actually harm your display unless it's the glass covered glossy. And even then there's still no reason to use anything but water. Also, if you find plain water is not cutting it, use warm to hot water and it will remove anything within reason. A little care goes a long ways.

4. AT.97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, I figured it out and I cleaned my screen. And You're right, water is enough.

5. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

do not use windex on ur screen.

that's a huge no no.

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

this is off topic
    but my 2011 macbook pro screen is faulty and messed up, I have apple care and was told free fix.
    So can I pay extra to get hi rest antiglare?

7. basher macrumors 6502

basher

You're right, you are off topic.

8. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Doubt it, whatever it is, they will only fix/replace that.

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have no problem paying extra for the different screen.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

If I don't have a micro cloth I use a tube sock. The sock will just clean the dust off.

Windex contain Alcohol which is a drying agent.

Right now your best option is to leave it alone. Let stuff build up on the screen. Then use iKlear. One application a week/month.. followed by weekly wipes of a micro cloth.

https://www.klearscreen.com/

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No. They are only allowed to replace the parts with the exact same parts even if you pay more.

You should start a new thread when posting something of topic.

12. pingfan59 macrumors member

Just got the moshi teraglove and it has a mini spray bottle for water that has worked great on cleaning my screen.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

iKlear & others are simply over priced snake oil. But hey, if it makes one feel special, give them your money.

One of the finest & most reasonably priced fabrics, which is the most effective & gentle is microfiber. Moistened with water, it will remove all but the most damaging stains.

If you allow the screen to get dirty & ignore it long enough, then it will be a problem. I never touch my display, therefore there's no damaging skin oil which will stain it, if left on long enough.

It's all common sense. Simple as that.

14. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

99% of the time, I use rubbing alcohol, however some matte displays will react with the alcohol. I sell tons of laptops on eBay, and I always use rubbing alcohol on my laptop displays.

Now, to reverse the scratching on your screen, go to autozone (or other auto store) and pick up a bottle of plastic polish (i use meguiars brand). Apply the polish to a dry, soft cloth (you can just use a napkin or paper towel folded neatly), and rub the screen it into the screen until it's no longer visible, and you hear a squeaking sound.

Repeat that until the screen is back to normal. It usually revers chemical damage pretty quickly. You can also use it to polish the "fog" off of you car's headlights ;)