Help - Problems installing Snow Leopard on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Elphaba, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

I'm having trouble installing a brand-new copy of Snow Leopard onto my Macbook. It loads just fine, and I'm able to start the installation. Halfway through the process, the computer restarts itself and cancels the installation.

Occassionally I get a warning sign from the installation program that says it can't read the disk and that it needs to be cleaned. The disc is brand new and isn't scratched so i'm not sure why it's giving me that warning. Anything I can do to fix this or do I need to get the disc replaced? :eek:

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

If other DVD discs work OK then the Snow Leopard disc is probably defective.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's also the chance that the hard drive is dying.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where did you get the disc? Did you buy it from an Apple Store or another retailer?

5. Elphaba thread starter macrumors regular

Elphaba

I will try other discs and see if they work. What's weird is that the progress bar gets very close to the end.. and when it's at 80% complete, it shuts down.

It's a brand new hard-drive that I replaced myself. I was able to do a full-restore from my Time Machine backup with no problems before this.

It's a brand-new disc that I purchased at Best Buy.