Help! Problems when replacing HD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by canhoto, Mar 11, 2011.

1. canhoto macrumors member

Hi.

I just replaced my IDE HD's with new ones and it's not working.

I had the following:

- a 10 GB with Mac OS 10.4.11 running
    - a 4 GB which was, for the moment, empty, although conveniently formatted

I replaced it like this:

- a brand new 160 GB in the place of the 10 GB
    - the 10 GB in the place of the 4 GB

I followed the manual instructions and viewed some tutorial videos: I think I didn't miss any connection and I put it all in place correctly.

However, when starting up (from the installation DVD), the disks don't appear. I opened Disk Utility to see if there were any formatting issues, but there were no HD's found on Disk Utility neither.

I checked the connections again and I'm almost sure everything was ok.

So, what have I missed? Why does this happens?

My Power Mac is a sawtooth 500, btw.

Thanks

2. WGoins88 macrumors regular

If both of the drives are on the same ribbon, did you set the jumpers on both to cable select? If not, in some cases, the Mac will not detect them.

3. canhoto thread starter macrumors member

I don't think so... :-(

Actually, what are "jumpers" (sorry for my ignorance...)

4. WGoins88 macrumors regular

They are usually in between the IDE connector and power connector like this -

[​IMG]

You will need to set both hard drives to Cable Select (Usually abbreviated as CS).

5. canhoto thread starter macrumors member

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1815

It says "Your Macintosh doesn't work with Ultra ATA devices set for cable select mode." (2.)

Should it be, instead, unselected for cable mode? Is the small white object included in the drive?

6. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Hmm, that's strange. I have both of mine set to cable select with no problems.

In that case, set the hard drive with your OS on it to master, and the other as a slave, and try again.

7. hansolo669 macrumors regular

most off the shelf pata hard drives require you to set a jumper to cable select mode. if you look around on the drive (usualy the top) you should see a diagram that tells you how to set your jumpers. now in my experiance, i have ALWAYS had to set my drives in the standard master slave settings. again their should be instructions on the drive. what model/brand are your drives and can you post a picture?

8. canhoto thread starter macrumors member

Everything ok, now!

Thank you all! I just had to change the jumpers by reading the instructions on the drives and setting up a master and a slave.

Everything ok, now!

Thank you!

9. hansolo669 macrumors regular

hey no prob :) glad everything turned out all right :)
    the more knowledge you have the better prepared you are in the future :cool: