Help! Problems with Gmail on Mail.app (multiple computers)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScKaSx, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ScKaSx macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have a desktop and laptop which I want to receive my Gmail on via Mail.app. However, I am having trouble receiving gmail on more than one computer. It seems that I can't get my entire inbox from gmail. Any new mail I open is only seen on the computer that I opened the mail on. In otherwords, the inbox is being divided between the two computers.

I believe that I have all the appropriate settings:
    incoming: pop.gmail.com
    outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
    Authenication: SSL, password (port 995 incoming, port 537 outgoing)

And from Gmail, I have gone to settings and set POP "enabled for all mail"

Does anyone have any ideas? Basically, I want to see my entire mailbox for Gmail on each computer.

Thanks,
    ScKaSx

2. kiddax macrumors newbie

Did you remember to check the "leave a copy on the server" setting so when you download it on one computer it will still download on the other?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think that GMail respects that in the way other mail services do...

I think what you want is not that option, but to use the recent: specifier, per this note.

What most people do is use the recent specifier only on the secondary computer -- that is, the secondary computer just gets the last 30 days' emails without regard for whether they've been downloaded, and does not set the download counter in the process, and the primary computer gets all new mails as usual.

4. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, the 'recent:' prefix to the username seems to work. Do you think this will work for a Yahoo account as well?

Cheers,
    ScKaSx

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No.

6. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

One other issue! In recent mode, all the mail I send out gets added to my inbox? How can I prevent this.

Cheers

7. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

One other issue! In recent mode, all the mail I send out gets added to my inbox? How can I prevent this.

Also is there a way when you delete the email on Mail.app to have it deleted from the server?

Cheers