HELP!!!!! Problems With My Mac [display keeps shutting off on iMac G5]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tha Mac God, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Tha Mac God macrumors newbie

Ok I have a Mac
    10.5 and yesterday the screen monitor won't stay on and when i restart it the screen will stay on for a minute but shuts back down when I try to open a file. It seems like my monitor is not responding to my mouse anymore. I don't know if this is due to a torrent I try to download yesterday which could have been a virus, or is it because my Mac is kind of full of storage. If anyone can plzz give me any suggestions on what i should do I would really appreciate it. Thank you

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It might help a bit getting help if you're a little more specific.

i.e. what sort of "mac" are we talking about.
    what sort of file are you trying to open when you get the problem.
    Does it fix itself, or do you need to restart the system.

Usually if a mouse is "not responding", the cursor is just stationary on the screen. I'm also not sure are you talking about your screen going blank or the system freezing.

3. Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yeah if that's my last resort, but I am trying to see if I can fix the prob myself. It is a Mac 10.5.8 and when I start my computer the screen shows it loading but as soon as its finish and shows the desk top page it starts freezing and my screen goes black and my mouse stops responding to it.

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

What kind of Mac is it? I mean, what does it look like? Would you be able to give us a picture?

I'm wondering if it's an iMac G5 that may be going bad. Can you elaborate at all?

5. Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's a G5

6. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Hmmm, I know those have really bad issues with capacitors inside going bad. I don't know for sure, but I would venture to say that your Mac is sadly on the way out.

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Mine (17" iMac G5) did that and it turned out it was bad capacitors. I lifted the back and took a photo of the bulgy capacitors for my Genius appointment. Even though I didn't have Apple Care (and it would've been expired around then anyway) Apple replaced the logic board for free. This was several years ago though. Around that time I think they had a replacement program going on. 6 months later the same thing happened to a friend's 20" iMac G5 (with camera) and her logic board was also replaced. Unfortunately the same thing happened again to hers within a year and Apple wouldn't replace the board for free.

8. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I researched it at the time and found a how-to webpost by someone who'd soldered replacement capacitors himself --but it wasn't something i wanted to try, thanks. :p I'd make a genius appointment and see what they say or how much it costs to replace the logicboard. You might be able to find a refurb Mac Mini for the same price.

Good luck!

9. Tha Mac God, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh that sucks!!!! I'm taking it in today to see what's wrong. But I'm pretty sure both of you are right, and if so do you think I can restore all my storage?.?

10. CrickettGrrrl, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

If your capacitors are blown, your hard drive & all the data on it should still be all right. Good luck with your appointment today --fingers crossed!

Hmmm, trying to remember through the mists of time, but I think my power supply was bad too, at any rate, Apple replaced that too. Actually, that was something I've done myself except in a desktop PC that was as roomy as a mahunka Buick engine compartment and not something i'd want to try myself with an iMac.

11. Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol yeah thanx, I took it in yesterday so they should be contacting me soon on whats exactly wrong with it. I just hope it's not too bad, but it has run its course. I had it for so many years, and I forget to shut the power off sometimes when I'm not using it. If it has gotten to the point where it wont start up again, I know to treat the next one with care:D

12. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Still keeping my fingers crossed. If you've had it since it was new you really got your money's worth out of it! BTW, my PPC iMac G5 still works after all that stuff with the capacitors & PSU. I rarely use it now though since I got a 2011 iMac, but it was a little work horse especially the last couple years.

13. Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that's awesome!!! They are very good computers, I know mine never gave me any problems until now so I can't complain. It could be a sign for an upgrade lol. But the technician guy just called today. I still don't know what's wrong but he said if worst comes to worst he can still restore all my files. So that's always good news :D

14. Tha Mac God thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup you were right lol, what kind of computer do you think I should get now?? I need something that will last long.

15. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Well, there are quite a few threads asking that very question--what it boils down to is how you need to use your computer, i.e., desktop or portable, and what apps you need or want to run.

From my own experience going from a PPC iMac G5 to a 2011 iMac, pretty much any of the current Macs is going to be pretty terrific. Get the most RAM for which ever model you get. --Or rather, I'd very carefully check which models are RAM upgradeable by the user. For mine, I got the base model then installed 16 GB RAM myself to save money.

If I had to get an iMac now, I'd go with a 27 inch because the 21 inch models no longer have easily accessible RAM. You have to remove the screens and scrape off foam tape, etc. I haven't looked at the Minis lately but I think you can still replace the RAM yourself. Check into that. If you get a MB Air, definitely buy the one with 8 GB RAM for future proofing.