Help, programs crashing and OS freezing!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by msjones, Oct 23, 2007.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi,

I am having some big trouble with my first Mac. I have a second 200gb HDD installed and it keeps shutting down and coming back on. Its a maxtor drive, so I know the drive is next to useless.

I have experienced programs crashing like quicktime and itunes, and sometimes on boot up OS freezes at the login prompt.

Could this be the cause of the maxtor? Or is it another problem ie the logic board?

Thanks in advance for all help!

Mj

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Run the hardware test. There's a CD that came with your machine. Put that in and restart and hold down the "c" key. Follow instructions from there for full test.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. I bought my machine on eBay, and it did not come with a hardware test CD.

Where can I get one of these?

Thanks,

Mj

4. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Could anybody please copy me one of these? I will provide the disk and paid postage for returns.

thanks, Mj

5. iSavant macrumors regular

Mj -

there is not a separate Diag disk... if you got the "install dvd's" with the computer, use dvd # 1 and boot holding the "d" key (not "c")

Good luck

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This might be the problem. It could have been a lemon from the start, unloaded on the unsuspecting via eBay.

You need to show us some crashlogs from the crashed apps. And if you've experienced kernel panics (a screen telling you to restart the Mac in multiple languages), then you should post the contents of the panic logs as well.

7. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

OK so I dont have an install DVD just the CD version. I rebooted held in the D key and it just booted to my login prompt.

So, I rebooted again and went for a re-install and on the first attempt it crashed at about 17% of the base install.

I turned off the machine and opened the side, removed all hardware inlcuding the new 512 stick that I installed, this was DDR400 not 333 like the other 3 sticks.

I went back and did another re-install all completed fine and am now running again. I have encoded a movie and ran WoW and all seems to be ok. Before doing the above I did experience a few kernel panics. Could this be due to 'dodgy' RAM?

Mj

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

High probability, yes. Macs are notorious about being RAM picky.

9. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

well all is still running ok, fingers crossed that this was the problem!

I would like to get 4 sticks of the same brand 512 ddr333 what can you recommend?

thanks