Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Need Help...

Every program I run starts freezing after I did the performance software update (along with the iMovie update). (I believe this was first made available some 2 weeks ago) - for computers that had hard disk freeze issues.

Preview freezes / not responding
iTunes freezes / not responding
Safari freezes / not responding
Finder freezes / not responding

this is a nightmare !

1. I have time machine backups, can I revert to before the software updates ?

2. and I copied all the "force quit" error reports... would that help to post here to understand what is going on????

3. Any suggestions of what to try? I did shutdown (force shutdown) and rebooted... and the problems persist

:(

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Also,

I noticed I cant do a 2 or 3 finger swipe (horizontally) ... the 2 finger scroll still works.

..... something is rotten in cupertinoland.......

good times !

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
UNSOLVED :

Command-option-p-r after reboot.... wait for 2 chimes... then let go.

reset the pram solved ONLY THE TRACKPAD 3 and 4 FINGER SWIPE ISSUES

jeez.

NOTE: this resolved the trackpad 3 and 4-button issue.... but did not resolve the freezing, finder unable to restart (from the force quit menu), or inability to shutdown issues i recently developed)

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
UPDATE: UNSOLVED

Looks like I spoke "too soon"....

anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot, or solve this problem?
is it possible to revert to before the "performance update" was done ?

alf

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Whew.... that was close...

THANK YOU for posting this.

I just hit Software Update to get the new iTunes update. Saw the 'Performance Update' and thought to myself "well why would I need that? My MBA has an SSD.." And my next thought was to come here and check the MBA forums for 'performance update' issues.

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. And thanks for giving me fair warning not to install that just yet.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009

I just hit Software Update to get the new iTunes update. Saw the 'Performance Update' and thought to myself "well why would I need that? My MBA has an SSD.." And my next thought was to come here and check the MBA forums for 'performance update' issues.

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. And thanks for giving me fair warning not to install that just yet.

I installed the performance update without a second thought and have had no issues so far.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008

I have the same computer as you do... with the SSD... and I thought the same thing... and then...I caved (low "sales resistance").

Went to the Genius Bar today... (because my computer has been going NUTZ for the last 24 hours - I have never seen anything like that before).... he looked at all the logs and screenshots (I was able to save) - and could only say "That's really unusual!"... his recommendation was.... wait for it....

to reinstall snow leopard from scratch....and then he would run a hardware diagnostic to be sure...

Damn I hate doing that !... so I decided to take the computer home myself... and do the wipe and install in the luxury of my home... currently I am in the process of backing up important sh..stuff.

There is always something that is lost in the reformatting ! I have to upgrade to some sort of "pro service" where a laptop can be exchanged while a repair is being done !....that would be great !

stay tuned.

ps: thanks colourfast for your post. I am not one that wants to cause pandemonium and fear into fellow users.... so I am glad you had no problems (actually...I am not "glad".... but I digress .. ;) ). HOWEVER, can you mention which system (computer configuration) you have so others can reference that? thanks again

alf

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

I installed the update, my system actually got a little faster with it. I have the Rev C SSD model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.