Help prolonging battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christarp, Jan 23, 2014.

1. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

So I just got a 13" rMBP, and I love it! Works great, however it sits on my desk a good amount of the time and I use it quite a bit. As such I can go a few ways, leaving it plugged in, or cycling the battery each day.

I was just wondering what would be better to do? My experience with other electronics is not cycling the battery every now and again just kills battery life, but I also don't want to put on unnecessary battery cycles if I don't need to. Anyone know what the best way to manage this is? Being used as a desktop replacement is what I've been doing but I also still would love to keep the battery in tip top shape when I bring it anywhere.

I've owned it for about 10 days and I've put on 13 cycles already from 100% -> ~10%, should I keep doing it this way? Or should I just leave it plugged in and cycle it maybe twice a week?

2. simsaladimbamba

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would use it as you need too, and not worry about the battery, when the time comes to replace the battery in a few years do so. I think if you exercise common sense, it will last a long time.

4. christarp thread starter macrumors 6502

christarp

Why thank you!

also a reasonable idea

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Don't worry, be happy :p

I'm always recycling the battery from my late-2009 white since early-2010 and it's at about 360 cycles. After Mavericks, I'd say it lasts about 5 hours under wifi and dimmed brightness and even more with wifi turned off. Pretty good for a Core 2 Duo.