HELP..Purchased NAVGON USA, it does not detect a GPS signal

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bmd1208, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bmd1208 macrumors newbie

I wondering if someone could please help me. Yesterday, I purchased NAVGON (usa for my iPad 2. Downloaded all the maps, went to use it and it does not detect a GPS signal. :confused: I went to privacy settings to make sure it was on and it was. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I paid $49 yesterday, only to see it half price today for Black Friday - so I am feeling not too happy.:confused: Can anyone help??

Please help - thank you in advance,
    Bryan
    New Jersey

2. schulzmc macrumors regular

Is it a wifi only iPad? They don't have GPS chips

3. bmd1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is a Wifi only iPad 2. I am using it with a Verizon MyFi device. How is it that my WAZE navigation app works just fine? Any idea? BTW, thank you for replying to my original post.

4. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Only the cell radio equipped iPads have GPS chips in them. Sorry.

Waze must be working off WiFi signals, it can't be particularly accurate when traveling

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah the wifi model doesnt have a gps chip....dunno why waze works.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

There are apple compatible Bluetooth GPS units on the market, for example the bad elf (Bluetooth or 30 pin connector versions) and the dual xgps 150, the Garmin GLO, and others. You might want to investigate those.

I am probably going to try and sell a couple of used GPS iOS devices in the next week or two in the marketplace if I can't sell them locally.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You can get a BAD ELF GPS unit.
    Plugs into 30 pin connector, gives you GPS.

Also have BlueTooth GPS units if you don't want to have something sticking out your iPad.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Also, when used with a MiFi the GPS apps can erroneously think your location is wherever the main office for the Verizon ISP happens to be.

9. bmd1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to all responders

I bought a Dual XGPS150 from Amazon ($99). I should get it tomorrow (Tuesday). I will report the results. Thanks again!!

(BTW) One thing I did try was, I tethered the signal using my iPhone 4 as a hotspot - It worked intermittently. Definitely not something I could live with...

10. bmd1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a Dual XGPS150 from Amazon ($99). I got it today. It easily paired with the iPad - it works GREAT - very happy :)