Help Purchasing a Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JaspLi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JaspLi macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone can help me out on making a decision. I'm looking to purchase a Display and I have my eyes on the 27" Mac Display without the Thunderbolt. I don't really do anything fancy with my MBP. Is getting this worth it or should I get the order the newer Mac Display with Thunderbolt? What are your thoughts? Also, I'm open to maybe even getting a TV and plugging my mac into. Any suggestions?

2. roow110 macrumors regular

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can get the 27 inch apple cinema display with thunderbolt for $999 or you could find the same sized screen for $200. But what you get when buying the Apple display is perfection in almost every way. You get the same beautiful design from the iMac with the seemingly floating display, and the aluminum enclosure. You get the built in speakers and additional ports in the rear. You get the 178 degree viewing angle, the eyesight camera, the matching design to your MBP. You get the magnetic charging cable, and the single thunderbolt cable. Not to mention the beautiful, crisp, high resolution widescreen display. As a 2 year user of the display, I can tell you for a fact that you will not regret the purchase and it is worth the high price. So go ahead and get it. If you aren't willing to drop a grand on a display, you could go for an alternative, however even the nicest alternatives lack almost all of these features.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Well, those so-called $200-ish 27" LCDs have 1080p resolution with TN panel. Although TN panel maybe okay for some, it does mean you get much narrower viewing angle and limitation of 262,144 true colors (vs. 16.7 million colors on SIPS).

Also, if you are set aside on getting Thunderbolt Display, be warned that it only works with MBP, iMac, Mini, and MBA released in 2011.

4. unobtainium macrumors 68000

If the Apple Cinema Display had HDMI, I'd buy one of those instead of getting an HDTV.

5. JaspLi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. Will there be a noticeable difference if I purchase the display that doesn't use Thunderbolt since it does look like that would be a cheaper option? I don't really do much on my laptop graphical wise. Maybe the occasional movie. I'm leaning towards just the 27" mac display without the Thunderbolt.

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

No.. the only difference between ATD and ACD is the ability to daisy chain multiple ATDs, Ethernet Port, FireWire Port and Facetime "HD".

You'll be more than happy with a standard ACD.

7. JaspLi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the information! Anyone know of a place to get a good deal for the MCD? I was thinking about purchasing a refurbished one or if there's a good deal for a new one, that would be even better.