Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Looking to purchase a New TV. Unfortunately I purchased a Sony 52" 3 years ago and it already went. Other people issued complaints of the same problem, but Sony it saying oh well.

At any rate, I was looking at the different SmartTV's. Not necessarily Web Surfing, but wireless connectivity. The deeper I looked, the two I was interested in was a Samsung and Phillips, however they only support OS 7, Vista and whatever other PC OS there is. Plus when purchasing the Samsung, you have to buy a $79 wireless dongle that plugs into one of the HDMI outlets.

So with having all Macs in the house, obviously that wouldn't work, so now that opens up my options of what TV to purchase and for $99 I could add the AppleTV and can stream.

There are so many TV's out there, reading CNET and Amazon reviews, I think I actually confused myself more. I do know I don't want Plasma. There is LED vs LCD, the 720 vs 1080, the refresh rates anywhere now from 60 to 240 and the combinations of the different scenarios are endless.

What are the better combinations to look for?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Looking to purchase a New TV. Unfortunately I purchased a Sony 52" 3 years ago and it already went. Other people issued complaints of the same problem, but Sony it saying oh well.

At any rate, I was looking at the different SmartTV's. Not necessarily Web Surfing, but wireless connectivity. The deeper I looked, the two I was interested in was a Samsung and Phillips, however they only support OS 7, Vista and whatever other PC OS there is. Plus when purchasing the Samsung, you have to buy a $79 wireless dongle that plugs into one of the HDMI outlets.

So with having all Macs in the house, obviously that wouldn't work, so now that opens up my options of what TV to purchase and for $99 I could add the AppleTV and can stream.

There are so many TV's out there, reading CNET and Amazon reviews, I think I actually confused myself more. I do know I don't want Plasma. There is LED vs LCD, the 720 vs 1080, the refresh rates anywhere now from 60 to 240 and the combinations of the different scenarios are endless.

What are the better combinations to look for?
A good place to start would be http://www.avsforum.com/
Plenty of good information and advice there on tv's. Minimum would be 1080p. I prefer plasma because of the better viewing angles compared to LCD, but unfortunately the best plasmas are no longer made. Pioneer made the best plasma tv's but they stopped 2 to 3 years ago. But there are plenty of good tvs and you will get a lot of good advice to meet your needs there. So many variables involved, such as how much light is in your room, distance you will be viewing your tv from, types of media you will view and so on. When it comes to HDTV, bigger is better. So if you sit 8 to 10 feet away from tv, minimum is a 60 inch tv, otherwise your eyes can not distinguish between 720p and 1080p. Further away you sit, the larger the tv must be. LG also makes smart tv's, so you might want to check that out.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
So, my stupid question is how did you arrive at the conclusion that you don't want plasma?

My advice is get the ATV2 and then find a TV that you love otherwise, and just use the ATV2 for streaming instead of any apps that may be on the TV.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Tv

Plasma being glass with a glossy surface wont work where the tv would go. Directly behind the couch is a set of glass double doors going out to a deck. During the day would have a ton of sunlight coming in and no there are no curtains or blinds to close

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
Sony

Ok
I know you are not very impressed with sony at the moment, however i have had a sony CRT tv that still works 20 years on (don't use it any more though) however i have 3 sony Bravia's one LED 40" and 2 other LCD's, i cannot suggest anything else better that an LED Sony Bravia

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If you are willing to spend the bucks, then wait for the Sharp Elite series LCD's coming out this year. Same engineers that produced the Pioneer Elites, helped design the Sharp Elites. By far will be the best tvs out there if you are willing to spend $5000-$8000. Reviews have been impressive to say the least.

http://elitelcdtv.com/elite-lcd-hdtv-overview/#

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I just bought a TV... my first "big screen"... 60inch. Here is what I learned and would do differently:

1. It isn't big enough. I'm not being silly, or greedy... it just isn't. For a home theatre experience, it still lacks immersion (9 ft away). 55 is where the current ideal 'price/size' is at, and I would have been no worse off doing that.

2. I got plasma. Good call on staying away. Gosh what a pain. Most movies are wider screen then 16:9, so you have black bars. But show black bars on plasma, and you get burn in (I checked, I had it). I think I found a way around it... for every wide screen movie I watch, I let Avatar play full screen afterwards. :( Thankfully, plasmas are a lot cheaper for some reason, so I can try and enjoy this for a few years and move on.

Anyways, LCD vs. LED really comes down to thinness of the panel, and $. Quality is about the same.

Or, see about getting a projector. I did not believe my co-workers, but they were right. :(

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I just bought a TV... my first "big screen"... 60inch. Here is what I learned and would do differently:

1. It isn't big enough. I'm not being silly, or greedy... it just isn't. For a home theatre experience, it still lacks immersion (9 ft away). 55 is where the current ideal 'price/size' is at, and I would have been no worse off doing that.

2. I got plasma. Good call on staying away. Gosh what a pain. Most movies are wider screen then 16:9, so you have black bars. But show black bars on plasma, and you get burn in (I checked, I had it). I think I found a way around it... for every wide screen movie I watch, I let Avatar play full screen afterwards. :( Thankfully, plasmas are a lot cheaper for some reason, so I can try and enjoy this for a few years and move on.

Anyways, LCD vs. LED really comes down to thinness of the panel, and $. Quality is about the same.

Or, see about getting a projector. I did not believe my co-workers, but they were right. :(

What you have is IR (Image retention, not burn in). That is a big difference. IR goes away, burn in does not. I have had my plasma for 2+ years and watch a lot of blu ray movies with the black bars. Never, ever had IR, much less burn in. With LCD you have loss of color and clarity if sitting at an off angle, uneven backlighting and so on. The choice is what trade offs you want. Plasma still give you the best picture from all angles.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
What you have is IR (Image retention, not burn in). That is a big difference. IR goes away, burn in does not. I have had my plasma for 2+ years and watch a lot of blu ray movies with the black bars. Never, ever had IR, much less burn in. With LCD you have loss of color and clarity if sitting at an off angle, uneven backlighting and so on. The choice is what trade offs you want. Plasma still give you the best picture from all angles.

The way I understood it is that the 'plasma' is warn down more where the picture is because it is in use. The dark bars aren't in use so wear out at a different rate (not at all I guess). This uneven wear is what I'm calling "burn in", but sure, technically it might be something else. Regardless, it happens on 4:3 content, or wide screen movies. HDTV is fine.

Yes, the picture and viewing angles are beautiful.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
get a TV that has excellent picture quality and tons of inputs go and have a look at them play around with the settings, I like to think a TV is just a glorified monitor, you then add services you need eg PVR, PS3, ATV, dont be sold a 'smartTV' if you want DNLA get a WDLive, you will get most of the experience from the things you add to the TV.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
get a TV that has excellent picture quality and tons of inputs go and have a look at them play around with the settings, I like to think a TV is just a glorified monitor, you then add services you need eg PVR, PS3, ATV, dont be sold a 'smartTV' if you want DNLA get a WDLive, you will get most of the experience from the things you add to the TV.

I don't know about 'tonnes of inputs' for a TV. It is a way of keeping prices high when a serious home theatre uses probably only one HDMi on the TV.

My advice when buying a new HD TV- don't forget audio. I agree with the second part of the post.

I would also look at what AV receiver and speaker setup you want. A really good sound stage makes your TV look and feel bigger.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
It's not LCD vs. LED. LED is only used as the backlight for an LCD TV, replacing flourescent. I've been very happy with both the performance and price of Vizio TVs. I have three Vizios and two Apple TV2s. If I was buying today, I'd head to Sam's Club and buy the gorgeous 55" Vizio 1080p for $998.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Well for one, i'd be surprised if any mid-high range TVs these days were not 1080p, not that i think it is a huge factor to be honest as once you are more than 8-10 ft away the human eye then can't really notice the difference between the two. Actual picture quality is far more important than just screen resolution.

I have a Pioneer, it's only a 42" and it's plasma and doesn't do 1080p (1080i only). I've had it for about 5 years and since moving into a bigger place where I sit about 20' away from the TV I've been considering a bigger screen. The unfortunate thing is I really can't find a screen that offers the picture quality of the Pioneer at the moment, I find the new generation of LCDs just too lifelike...I know that sounds silly and most will riducule me for saying that but it's my view. I've never had screen burn problems with my TV and it isn't quite as good in really bright sunlight, but then i'd just pull a blind down in those rare instances, any other time the quality is spot on. Most people that come to mine always coment on how good the picture quality is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the apparent cons of plasma, the benefits far outweigh them. And the lifespan of a plasma whilst short compared to LCD and CRT is still long enough for today's disposable tech society, who keeps a TV for longer than 5 years these days??

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for all the feedback, it all has been very helpful. I have read on the avsforum and there is an overwhelming amount of information there. Great suggestion.

Have enough information to absorb and review.

I will be staying away from a SmartTV and get the ATV2 instead and try that out. I have been thinking about that for the last six months anyhow and really the only negative part is you can't store anything on it, only stream.

I am sure once I get my Set and the ATV, I may have some more technical questions but know where to come to get answers.

As far as the Elite, way out of budget, but looks like it will be a nice product.

Sony - out, they just ticked me off period. Maybe a one time thing, but frustrating nonetheless.

Will be reading up on the other brands.

Thanks

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I have an :apple:TV and a big Samsung "smart TV". Don't get overly hung up in specs about the "smart" parts. Since Apple video uses Apple-proprietary DRM, there is NO smart television you can buy that is going to be as iTunes-capable as hooking an :apple:TV to ANY HDTV.

Those specs talking about compatibilities with technologies like Windows and DLNA are mostly revolving around the idea of have a home (video) server from which the SmartTV can pull content. We Apple people have long complained about having to leave a Mac or PC (running iTunes) on to access content with :apple:TV. Think of those SmartTV specs as just a workaround to that same problem/opportunity/common want.

We like the apps availability on the Samsung, giving us streaming access to all kinds of sources beyond what Apple is allowing with the :apple:TV. For example, there's Hulu, Vudu and many others. So we use :apple:TV when we want access to our iTunes content, the iTunes store and content via a few of the "app-like" functions available with :apple:TV and we flip to Samsung Apps when we want alternatives. For example, if we can't find a movie or show we want in iTunes or Netflix, we can check other options via the Samsung movie apps.

If you're looking for a TV that is going to promote :apple:TV-like compatibility with iTunes, that's a long wait (unless the rumored Apple Television actually arrives). You'll probably do much better to just split the concepts: get an :apple:TV to cover all things Apple and then get "the rest" of the media sources via the apps available in Smart TVs. That's a "best of both worlds" solution.

cooloregon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
I own a Panasonic 55ST30 (plasma) and I couldn't be happier. Go to AVS Forums (avsforum.com) to read about owner reviews and setting up the tv and the September issue of Home Theater has a great review on all three current ST, GT and VT models, plus their on sale at panasonic.com

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Plasma being glass with a glossy surface wont work where the tv would go. Directly behind the couch is a set of glass double doors going out to a deck. During the day would have a ton of sunlight coming in and no there are no curtains or blinds to close

If avoiding a glossy, reflective screen is a necessity for you, you must avoid LED as well.

A matte screen LCD will do that for you.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Again, LED is only used for the backlight, not the screen, which is LCD.

Respectfully, I sell and am around these TVs everyday. Anyone who has done a side-by-side comparison of a CCFL-LCD and an LED-LCD will agree with me that the screens on LED-LCD TVs are more reflective. If you doubt it, all you have to do is turn the power off to the sets and see how it looks like you're looking in a mirror!

Part of what gives LED-LCD better black levels is the different screen material from a CCFL-LCD. WIKI it if you don't believe me.

Just don't confuse the OP.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Respectfully, I sell and am around these TVs everyday. Anyone who has done a side-by-side comparison of a CCFL-LCD and an LED-LCD will agree with me that the screens on LED-LCD TVs are more reflective. If you doubt it, all you have to do is turn the power off to the sets and see how it looks like you're looking in a mirror!

Part of what gives LED-LCD better black levels is the different screen material from a CCFL-LCD. WIKI it if you don't believe me.

Well, if you don't want to confuse the OP (and everyone else) you should have included this explanation the first time.

jwade32

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
CA
It's not LCD vs. LED. LED is only used as the backlight for an LCD TV, replacing flourescent. I've been very happy with both the performance and price of Vizio TVs. I have three Vizios and two Apple TV2s. If I was buying today, I'd head to Sam's Club and buy the gorgeous 55" Vizio 1080p for $998.

I second this. I just recently purchased a 42 inch Vizio from Costco for $650. Wasn't even considering Vizio until I saw the TV at the store and it blew most of the other ones away that I was looking at. 1080p, 120 hz, and 3D (though I don't use it). Good deal if you are on a budget. Best advice....pick a few out online and then go look at them at the store.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

He was just pointing out that LED is the method of backlighting only. They are still all LCD displays.

jamesfrank789

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Help for purchasing t.v

I VERY SEARCH FOR A NEW T.V BUT I LIKE SAMSUNG THIS MODEL
SAMSUNG UN46D8000 46"3D LED T.V (1920*1080,240HZ,HDTV,LED BACK LIGHT,3D).ITS NEWLY LUNCHED. AND ITS PRICE NEAR ABOUT $2519.99.......:cool:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
He was just pointing out that LED is the method of backlighting only. They are still all LCD displays.

The question I was trying to answer for the OP was that of reflection off the screen. In that case, my comment as I made it stands as accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.