Help! Purchasing Used iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Simgar988, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I'm purchasing a used iPad (used for a dayish) and was curious as to any downsides of buying a used one. Is the warranty still good? is it important to get the original receipt? etc.

any advice appreciated

2. MacMarf macrumors member

3. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

is it still usable even if the device has changed hands?

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm pretty sure the warranty for most things follows the device, not the owner, but you should call Apple and ask. Don't take the forum as gospel.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How much of a discount?

Personally, I've not seen used prices low enough to tempt me, at this point I'd rather pay a little more and get a brand new iPad. There's something to be said with peace of mind. Peace of mind you're getting a new device that has a warranty.

6. MacMarf macrumors member

Yes? If I buy it as a present for someone's birthday and they don't like it they can change it, so I guess it's the same.

7. nStyle macrumors 65816

It's likely the ipad you bought wasnt even registered yet.

8. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Apple's warranty is transferable. You don't even need the receipt if iPad was originally purchased at Apple Store.

You can even get Apple Care under your name within 1 year from the original purchase date. (this is also transferable if you sell the iPad in the future.)

9. nStyle macrumors 65816

And why is it transferrable, kids? Because Apple wouldn't have any way of knowing if you were "Steven Jobs" or "Steven Unemployed".

10. greenlander macrumors member

Just make sure you know the person you're buying from or understand the reason for sale and make sure all the original documents are available and look legit.

And, make sure the discount is worth any potential risks (however slight). Personally, I'd never buy one used to save $25, even if only used for a day.

11. rkwalton, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

rkwalton macrumors newbie

One downside...

I just got one today that's used. It's just a 16gb wifi one and it was about $200 cheaper than what I'd pay for it from Apple or another retailer. It's enough to get me through until the 4g one comes out. It's fine and barely used. The woman I bought it from got it as a present. She's just not the type to use it and decided to sell it, so nothing seedy is going on.

What I didn't realize, however, was I ought to have completely wiped it by erasing all of the data because as soon as I logged into (or tried to log into) iTunes, it disabled my iTunes account. Great! Just great! I'd removed iTunes from my computer because my hard drive crashed. All my stuff is stranded on my iTouch. I'm going to have to rescue it now, for sure, so I can sync playlists to my iPad.

It makes sense they shut my account down because, technically, when I tried to log in their system had this iPad linked to someone else. Also, they had my info linked only to my iTouch. They're probably thinking someone stole the iPad or just got my password and is trying to download stuff.

Anyway, after a LONG time on the phone and having them try to up-sell me to Apple Care. I got lucky and had an Apple rep help me but it ends up it didn't solve the problem. I called back and got someone much less accommodating and spoke to a supervisor. Found out later that the first rep shouldn't have helped me at all. (Really hope he doesn't get into too much trouble.) The supervisor explained the 90 day Apple Care set up and explained that my iPad isn't covered anymore, so they'd have to charge me almost $30 to help me.

Now, honestly, I think that's rubbish because I just want my account enabled again so I can go wild in their iTunes store. They basically want to charge me to shop. Really stupid, to be honest.

However, I can't fight the power so after grumbling to the supervisor a bit, I contacted customer service via email. Hopefully, they'll sort this out in a day or so. An iPad without apps is just useless.

Sooooooooo, that's a warning to anyone buying one used. Go to settings, reset, and erase all content and settings. Then sync it to your iTunes, so that Apple recognizes it as your iPad before trying to buy apps or you might get locked out of iTunes like I did.

Update - Nov. 3rd:

Indeed my attempts with a reset were futile. However, I just got it reset by the folks at Apple and am now running wild in iTunes to find iPad apps I want to use.

12. Hogwildz macrumors newbie

Helpless

Hej- I bought a used Ipad 2 not too long ago. I was thrilled to bits until I noticed that it hadn't been wiped clean, meaning, it asked for a password that I didn't have, etc. Couldn't get a hold of the person who sold it to me, so I went o the source for help. Going to the Apple Store, I was treated with less than kind customer service, I was made to feel as if there were something ' fishy" about my purchase. I have not been able to get this thing to work, much less get help from APPLE. Aside from having been humiliated and made to feel like a borderline criminal, I wasted funds ,time and dignity. Very upsetting.

13. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

How much are you saving? Anything less than $100 discount is not worth it. I'd have to agree w the others, you get treated like a king or queen if you buy from apple. Free replacements etc.

Oops! Just noticed this is from 2010! Geez.