HELP purchasing used Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PuckDaddy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

Mac Pro - G0379LL/A
    Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
    specs very basic:
    250gb 7200rpm
    1gb RAM
    ATI Radeon x1900 XT
    Combo Drive
    $2300

I was then going to add new RAM (8gb), GPU (Quadro FX4500 offered from the seller installed for $200)(?)
    may even add new HDD as primary and switch the stock hdd to bay2 and load Win7 on it when it's released

I am not as familiar with the Mac Pro line
    anyone recognize the model number ? G0379LL/A

if anyone can answer these questions I'd appreciate it:

1] when were these produced?
    2] whats a good card to throw in here myself instead of configuring in the QuadroFX4500 ? what would be a good set of twins ((they also offer (2) GeForce7300 (256mb for $400))?
    3] by the time I experiment with this, is this a poor option overall
    4] what series Xeon's are these ?

thanks

--edit--

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. frimple macrumors 6502

It seems to me like you're looking at 3 completely different machines with a huge difference in what they can do for you. I think you need to figure out what you're looking for out of the computer first. You mention a laptop, do you need to be mobile? A 50lb tower and the 24" 2.8 iMac (I'm assuming) are out of the question. Need to do CPU intensive application work? Mac Pro is out. If you've found a comfortable price point find a definition of what you'll use this for and you'll land on the right computer for you. Good luck! :)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you are considering an iMac and laptop alongside the Mac Pro, you don't need the Mac Pro.

5. PuckDaddy thread starter macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

yes, I see where it could be confusing

no my needs do not require me to be mobile
    yes, the Pro will be more than enough that I'll need
    yes, I do like to get the most bang for the buck

I figure if you're gonna spend between $2000 - $2500 might as well get the best value

I see now I should have left it to the questions I sought answers to, instead of confusing the issue with purchasing options

my goal is one of the new iMacs
    BUT
    if I can put a little more effort into it and come away with a Pro instead, I'll consider it money better spent

does that not make sense?

6. PuckDaddy thread starter macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

really? why's that ? 8 cores isn't enough ? :confused:

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah frimple, what are you talking about?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Some information for you...

Looking at the Video card, I'd say the G0379LL/A are 1st generation Refurb MacPro's. Based on Xeon 5100 "Woodcrest" processors,
    bus speed @ 1.33 GHz, have a slower 667Mhz RAM speed
    and a maximum RAM capacity of 16 GB.

Probably manufactured between August 2006 and December 2007.
    Machines introduced after featured ATI HD 2600XT cards and were all based on 5400 "Harpertown" CPU's.

For most users, the Quadro FX4500 won't be much good unless your intentions are to venture into professional architectural design, 3D modelling. They're not consumer cards.

Do note, some graphics cards made for the newer MacPro machines won't work in the older "Woodcrest" systems (may not apply to third party cards, though.)

Hope this helps.

9. frimple macrumors 6502

uhh... what I think I meant to write was MacBOOK Pro... sorry!!!!

10. JasonK macrumors member

Who is selling this setup? I have not seen a reputable seller selling a mac pro w/ a combo drive. If this is from gainsaver STOP RIGHT NOW AND DO NOT BUY! These guys have hundreds of flags on the internet and lots of blogs even on this website about their corrupt dealings.

11. MacDDaaddyy macrumors newbie

Mac Pro specifications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro

You can find alot of links at wiki about that. The vid card kinda gives you an idea of the timeline/type of G5 it is. I think this is the second gen of G5.

"Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Harpertown
    Optional two 3.0GHz or 3.2GHz Quad-core processors or one 2.8GHz Quad-core processor"

"The Mac Pro was formally announced on August 7, 2006 at WWDC.[1] Along with the Mac Pro, a new Xeon-based Xserve was also announced, completing Apple's transition from the PowerPC to x86 architecture. On January 8, 2008 Apple unveiled the first 3.2 GHz, dual quad-core Intel Xeon (Harpertown 45 nm) -based Mac Pro.[2] The current Mac Pro was unveiled on March 3, 2009, featuring the new Intel Xeon processors based on the Nehalem micro-architecture as well as a lower entry price."

MacBook Pro (laptop) link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro