Help putting a key back on a Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bacong, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

The F key on my Powerbook wasn't registering, so I took it off and examined it. Looks like the previous owner spilled some soda in that area of the keyboard, because if I turn the keyboard illumination all the way on and the screen off, you can totally see a darkening of the keys in that area.

Anyway, I could figure out how to put it together but the part is just so small. There's 2 little plastic pieces (and I mean little) that snap into the key, and into the keyboard. Plus a little clear widget I'll call it, that registers the key press. I can't seem to get that in the right location as to facilitate normal function from the F key. Now, I don't use the Powerbook's keyboard at all, I actually use that computer as an iMac, with the Aluminum Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse and a 20" LCD monitor. But I would prefer the key to be in place and functional, considering I every so often take it with me.

So if you guys have any tips, tutorials, anything that could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't know what you're looking for, really. You can just pop off any of the other key caps to see how things are supposed to fit together, then duplicate that. It should be a pretty straightforward process, just push down firmly on the key until it snaps into place.

If you're having trouble with re-assembly, it's possible that the spring under the key was damaged when you removed it.