Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncavs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
CT
im looking into upgrading my ram in my CD macbook. i looked on newegg and i wanted to see if there was really any difference between the ram at apple.com or newegg because its a huge difference in price. i noticed that on newegg most of them dont have a heatspreader? dont know what that means or if i need it.

any insight would be great.

dizzlemizzle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
ram from apple is wayyyy overpriced... just use the ram checker on crucial or newegg and buy the right type and you'll be fine

angel1286

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
im looking into upgrading my ram in my CD macbook. i looked on newegg and i wanted to see if there was really any difference between the ram at apple.com or newegg because its a huge difference in price. i noticed that on newegg most of them dont have a heatspreader? dont know what that means or if i need it.

any insight would be great.

I'd recommend using Other World Computing (macsales.com), they are probably the best source for mac parts (memory, hard drives etc). Thats where I got my ram from and am now running with 4GB.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I got 4GB of DDRII 667 from play.com, came to £60 total.

Except the OP's machine is a CoreDuo, so they are limited to 2 x 1 GB

(ncavs -- the 2 GHz machine came in both CoreDuo and Core2Duo versions - it makes a difference which sizes of RAM you can use).

Answers to this and many other common questions can be found under the Guides tab at the top of the window.

Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM
Hardware: MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Go with a 2GB upgrade. That is all yours can hold and more than that is not only a waste of money but could also cause problems. Crucial and OWC and the best places in my oppinion to buy RAM. If you buy it from Apple you might as well bend over in front of Steve Jobs and take it because thats what they are doing to you. Upgrading the RAM youself is extremely easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.