Help!!! Question regarding data speeds.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HiDEF, Apr 6, 2012.

1. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Below I have some screen shots of speedtest.net that I ran earlier this week. My download stream is extremely low for having full bars--and I'm well under my 4GB cap. So I called AT&T and they couldn't figure out the issue and transferred me to Apple Care.

Could my iPhone 4S be the problem or is it AT&T's towers?

Please excuse the brevity and potential for typos since this is coming from my mobile device.

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you try resetting network settings?
    Also try your speedtest at other locations to see if the numbers vary.
    Just because you have full bars it doesnt mean you will have fast download speeds too. If the network is congested in the particular area even with full signal you will get slow data.

3. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I did perform a network reset and I'm still experiencing slow speeds.

Apple has opened a ticket for me and has told me to take it in and get a replacement. However, I'm holding back because I don't want to lose my 5.0 JB.

Question: If it is due to congestion, shouldn't AT&T advise me of this, instead of having me on the run-around w Apple Care?

BTW, thanx for taking the time, I appreciate it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A particular rep will not know or even have the ability to see if the cell tower you are connecting to right now is congested with lots of traffic or not. They usually just give you a generic answer and then point you to apple to get rid of you:D
    There might be nothing wrong with your phone, maybe at the particular time and place the network was slow that's all.

5. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

6. rtk86, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

rtk86 macrumors member

I live in Miami too and yes it can most definitely be slow at times. Today was especially bad and it wasn't even working in downtown for several hours. It has good days and bad down here. I also have a 4s. Try it now..I don't think it's the comcast server because I just ran it and got 4 MBPS. But the times you posted those speeds (if it was today) I was having no data service at all with 5 full bars.

7. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

lmao at this common mistake. Full bars doesn't have anything to do with network speed. It's how strong your cell signal is in dB. If you sat your computer right next to a router it'd have full bars but if someone in the house was uploading a video to YouTube or if you have lead walls in between yourself and the router, you'd have slow speeds.

8. daemonite macrumors member

9. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's magic :D