Help/Questions regarding MBP Mid-2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kh3khalid, Apr 2, 2013.

1. kh3khalid macrumors regular

Hello all

I've been confused about whether to get a rMBP or cMBP, and I've finally came to a decision and I'll be buying the 15" cMBP Mid-2012 in the upcoming few days (It'll be my first Mac). I chose the cMBP because of the upgradability, as I can't afford a high-end Macbook now, so I'll be doing that in the future.

It'll be in this configuration:
    • 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB GDDR5 memory
    • 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    • Hi-Res Display

I'll be using this Mac for browsing, playing Minecraft, itunes, watching movies, running programs for my collage like AutoCad, Photoshop, MS Office and other programs that I might need in the future (I'm a freshman studying Electrical Engineering, not sure if I'll need to run powerful programs though). I'm planning on upgrading the RAM to 16GB and getting an SSD in the upcoming months.

I'll be thankful if someone could answer these questions:
    1. Will 512MB GPU be enough for playing Minecraft?
    2. Can I use 1333MHz RAM instead of 1600MHz? (I already have 2x4GB 1333MHz)
    3. What is better, glossy or anti-glare? I can't decide because I haven't seen an anti-glare display ever (I've been to 5 Apple stores and can't find a Macbook with anti-glare display to check out!). Is it true that the glossy has better colors? To be honest I hate the white bezel that the Anti-glare has.

Thanks!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

1) Minecraft is not a demanding game, so yes. Intel HD 4000 can pump out 25 FPS on high levels, so the 650M? No prob.

2) Yes, but it will underclock to fit the slowest speed.

3) Glossy has deeper, richer colors, but the Anti-glare is great for using it wherever, whenever. Also, I have fallen into the same trap as you. Don't buy a computer to look at the bezel: look at the screen.