Help Quick Please! Firewire 800 pins?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PurpleCliff, Mar 18, 2009.

1. PurpleCliff macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

I just called JVC to get a cord to go from my JVC mini DV digital video camera to go to my new iMac - to the FireWire 800 port.
    Basicly - they asked if my FireWire port has 4 or 6 pins - because that is what they have. I said I only know it is FireWire 800. They said they don't know the difference between FireWire 400 and 800 is. So I guessed 6 pins.
    Is this right? Is the FireWire 800 port on my brand new iMac a 6 pin slot?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They're definitely going to give you a 400 wire. The pins aren't the issue as the pin count is more for the part that goes into the camera.

(I think 800 is 8 pins)

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

9 for FW800, 4 or 6 is FW400 you'll need a further FW400 female to FW800 male adapter

4. PurpleCliff thread starter macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

Thanks for the speedy replies! I've told them not to send me the 6 pin connector.
    I'll see if they have a 9 pin connector. :)

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

If they don't have that you want the 6 pin which is the normal FW400 connections on older macs, more than likely your camcorder has the 4 pin version of FW400, if you want to see the difference google image search for "firewire 400 6 pin" and "FireWire 400 4 pin", most camcorders can't connect directly to FW800 so you'll need an adapter

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Right. You need a 9pin to 6pin or 4pin depending on what the connector is to your camera. If it is a 4 pin it looks like this and if 6 pin it looks like this.

F800 is 9 pin and looks like this. To compare all three look at this.

So the cable you would need for 9 pin to 6 pin is this for $3.99 plus shipping. The cable for a 9 pin to 4 pin is this for $7.99 plus shipping. If you do have to buy the cables you'll have to find elsewhere to buy from since you are in Australia.

7. stix666 macrumors regular

Almost certainly a 9 to 4 pin connector. I don't believe camcorders ever used 6 pins. In the picture below, the 4 pin connector is the one on the right. If this looks like it will fit your camera, get this type of lead

[​IMG]

8. PurpleCliff thread starter macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

Thanks soo much everyone! You've all been really really helpful! :D

One last question - does anyone know where I can buy the cord pictured in the post above - the 9 pin to 4 pin cord - in Australia? Or an online store that can ship to Australia?

9. g.legit macrumors newbie

thanks so much!

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

11. MickyBlue macrumors newbie

I am a new convert to MAC and just want to thank you for your very clear advice.

12. robinvrn macrumors newbie

robinvrn

Called Apple and spoke to a Pro regarding Pins for firewire with Mac Book Pro

For the 800 firewire both a 6 or 9 pin will work according to Apple Pro; NOT an 8 as posted in previous replies. In fact, I am not sure an 8 pin exists. It it does it is hard to find. The 9 pin works great!. Hope this helps some of you trying to figure out the pin configuration for the MAC Book Pro with firewire 800!
    I found one on Ebay with a lifetime warranty for 4.99 which includes shipping and works great for my older video recorder that uses a tape and is not compatible with Vista on my PC but now have a MAC too :eek:

13. simsaladimbamba

As dead threads get new live, maybe this can help:
    [​IMG]

14. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Since we're on the FW topic..

Does anyone know why 9 pin FW800 does not use a gold or metallic tip? The plastic seems cheap and could break easier and I miss the gold tip on my FW400 6 pin..

If anyone knows of a gold tip or why they don't have one, i would love to know.