HELP! Ran into a problem trying to secure clean my HD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BANANACANADA, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BANANACANADA macrumors member

I am planning on returning my Macbook Retina for an upgraded model as I am still within the 14 days, but I ran into a bit of a snag. I was going to try and do a secure clean of my drives by going into recovery mode (cmd+r at boot) then went into my Macintosh HD through DU and set the format Mac OS Journaled I am sure, then restarted.

Now when I boot my computer I get a flashing question mark, if I hold option I get an Internet Recovery screen, but my network doesn't show up nor can I connect to it when typing the name and password manually. It has started an Internet recovery but I am not sure if it's actually receiving anything because I am not connected to the internet.

What to do? Can I fix this before I bring it back tomorrow, is there anyway, or can I bring it back as is and have them fix it and get a full refund? I just don't want to risk anything. Wouldn't it be covered by the 14-day policy?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well you wiped the drive clean and this is why you are getting the "?" mark. The best way to reinstall lion/mountain is using the internet recovery which should work. Check your connection and your modem/router.

You should be able to bring it back as is. You havent done anything to damage the computer. They were going to wipe the drive clean anyway.

3. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

I think you're right. Sucks that it is labour day so I could know for sure what to do. I am just a worry-wart who hates surprises.