Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevorault

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I have an Early 2009 MacBook (white) which had Yosemite installed. I am going to sell it so I erased the HDD using Disk Utility. The recovery partition is still available, but when I try to re-install Yosemite using command-R it states 'This file is temporarily unavailable at the App Store'. This is directly after I input my App Store account info. I have also created Sierra and High Sierra bootable USB drives, a bootable HDD connected via USB, and a bootable DVD. However, none of these have worked. When I choose one of them on the startup screen they begin reading, then the computer shuts down. Is there a way to install over the network? I have downloaded both Sierra and High Sierra install files from the App Store.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't think the Early 2009 Macbook supports Sierra or High Sierra, so installing them is not an option
Sierra and High Sierra are supported on the Late 2009 Macbook and newer

If you can't get Yosemite to install from command-R you may have to search around on the web for an installer you can use
And it looks like El Capitan is supported as well, so either would be an option

Reactions: Weaselboy

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you do an Internet Recovery, that will install the original version of macOS that was pre-installed on your 2009 MacBook. You can then sell it and let the buyer worry about upgrading macOS to the latest the machine will support.

trevorault

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Apparently that was what the OP was trying to do, but it wouldn't download and complete the install

MacDawg is right. It said the Yosemite file on the App Store was temporarily unavailable.

But, MacDawg solved the problem because Sierra is not compatible with that MacBook. I swore I saw on the Apple website that it is. I downloaded El Capitan from my App Store history and created a USB installer. That worked great and now I can sell it. Thanks, MacDawg!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
MacDawg is right. It said the Yosemite file on the App Store was temporarily unavailable.

But, MacDawg solved the problem because Sierra is not compatible with that MacBook. I swore I saw on the Apple website that it is. I downloaded El Capitan from my App Store history and created a USB installer. That worked great and now I can sell it. Thanks, MacDawg!

Anytime! Glad it worked out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.