Help: realized that my iMac G5 no longer sleeps by itself, after I had replaced the HDD with an SSD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jun 28, 2017.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Well, I never thought I'd post a question here again...

But, upon moving my iMac G5 iSight to a different storage location, I decided to power it up for a nostalgia trip. I am not really a PowerPC user anymore, but I did put an SSD in my iMac G5 - about a year or two ago - in order to rid one of my favorite machines of its clunky HDD.

That's when I noticed that, after leaving it for a good while, it was still on. I'm certain that this is a result of the addition of the SSD. Is there a way to work around this? Manually sleeping it causes it to go into a black screen state, where the fans blast full speed after about 30 seconds. I am not able to remove it from this state, without a shut-down and restart.

Thanks,
    -MDD

2. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Please give us a bit more information about the SSD.
    Is it an IDE one? Or mSATA with converter? Or SATA with converter?
    Which brand is the SSD and converter?
    Does the converter have a CS/Master/Slave switch?

3. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Over the years whenever I had issues with "sleep" this little utility always bailed me out.
    If you can manually make the system sleep then this will work and give you back "auto sleep".
    The link above is to my DropBox, only because I can't find the app online anymore.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks for that! However, I found out something horrible... I actually cannot physically put it to sleep. I remembered that, upon doing that, the screen goes black and the fans start to blast 30 seconds later - and I can't remove it from that state without a shut-down.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---

This is a SATA II Intel SSD. It's the one and only drive and is connected directly. (BTW, I can't manually sleep the machine either. Fans blast when I try.)

5. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Stupid me, I completely forgot the G5 has a SATA port. I'm that case I'm out of my knowledge. Try another SSD might help, but I don't think the problem is in the SSD firmware.
    Also you might want to try a clean install and see if the problem still exists

6. G4fanboy macrumors regular

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

This is an iMac G5, so there isn’t an option to add a usb card.

One thing to try is disabling bluetooth, or removing the card alltogether, I have had issues with sleeping and bluetooth in the past before

8. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I'd make a bootable SuperDuper! clone to an external USB-drive.
    Then boot from a Leopard-install-disk, erase the SSD and install from the scratch to check, if the problem still occurs. If yes, you may swap disks (internal SSD with external USB-clone) to see, if it's related to the SSD (or maybe better first boot the iMac from the external USB-drive/clone)
    That may help you to sort some things out...

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Unlikely, the iMac doesn't have any expansion slots. ;)

10. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

What happens if you use another HDD? Maybe it isn't the SSD and the problem just appeared coincidentally together with the time of the swap.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Can't remember for sure, but I was fairly certain that the installation on this SSD was brand-new. I might try re-installing and seeing what happens. Beforehand, I will try turning off BT and seeing what happens. However, I'm also fairly certain that I haven't had issues in the past (and I typically would use a BT Apple keyboard with this machine).