Help! rearrange main screen icon

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Prissy, May 7, 2009.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

Hi, On the main screen (desktop?) where all the application icons are, how can you rearrange them?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Press and hold your finger on any icon, then they will start to shake then you can move them wherever you want them to be. To finish press the home button.

3. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!
    Can you delete an icon? Does it mean that I'll be deleting the application from the phone too?

4. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

if it's a stock icon like you tube, weather and so on, you wont be able to delete them. if it's a application that your got from the app store then you can delete it, you should load all your apps from the app store into your itunes just snyc your phone and youll be good, dont forget to back up.:D

5. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Yes and no. The apps that came with the phone, such as phone, text, ipod, mail, web, stocks, weather, camera, photos, settings and clock cannot be deleted. But once you install new apps, they can be deleted by holding them until they wiggle and touching the little X that will appear on the icon. That will uninstall the app from your phone and delete the icon.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The apps that you buy and then delete, you can re-install them buy 'buying' them again from the app store, and you will not be charged again.

7. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

cool guys! but how should I arrange the icons? ie: I really hate the weather app and want to download weather channel's app but I don't want to have 2 weather apps on the screen. What can I do with the weather app? Thanks again

8. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

drag them onto a new page to the right of the springboard (desktop), you're allowed 9 pages (144 Apps) in total + 4 on the dock. (I believe this is increasing in OS 3.0)

You can channg the ones on the dock just by draging apps on or off it.

I'ts a shame you don't get a decent manual with the phone out of the box. You can download it as a PDF on the apple website:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

9. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh thanks for the link... So what y ou would do for the onces that you can't delete is to move them alllll the way to the last page?

10. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Yes but you can't have any blank pages so you need at least one app on pages 2-8 to put one on page 9. But I think you get the idea, just put it on the last page where it will bother you the least, whether that page is 2 or 9.