Help! Receiving Mail from Apple that is definitely not intended for me

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robin24, Jan 9, 2011.

1. robin24 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I was quite a bit surprised when I checked my Email inbox and found a message: "Thanks for contacting Apple about a product replacement for your iPad...", as I don't even have an iPad. I realized that, through some mistake, the message went into my own inbox - as it states the address of some person in the US who actually has the same name as I do, at least that's what it seems like. The Email also states the serial number of the device to be replaced and a link to a website where I can check the repair status. Now, I was under the impression that my Apple ID (Me.com address) could have been abused in some way. However, everything appears to be normal and the replacement does not show up when I log into my account through the Apple online store. So, my question is, what do I do about that? I really don't want to receive that guy's messages whenever he has some kind of oproblem - and I think it's quite lame for Apple to mix up names like that, which is most likely what happened here. I've already tried to call Apple, but of course they're not working at this time. Also, I've changed my Mobile Me password just to be sure - but don't know if there's anything else I can do?
    Thanks for any advice!!!
    Robin

2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

The highlighted part is what makes me think that this is a phishing scam to get your Apple ID for some reason. Just ignore the email.

GL

3. robin24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi GroundLoop,
    thanks for your reply!
    While I think your doubts are definitely justified, I did check some things to determine the integrity of the message.
    I checked the message headers, and the message really appears to come from an Apple Mail server. Next, I took the link to the repair status page that was given in the message and used my sandbox machine which I usually use to examine potencially malicious content and pointed its web browser to the URL, which is a real Apple.com address. Sure enough, the repair status page came up and I was presented with the replacement status without even having to log in previously.
    So, I think I can be fairly sure that this really came directly from Apple, as there's just no evidence that it could have been a phishing message. But thanks for the suggestion, it was good to check out some things before going on with this I guess!
    Robin

4. wpotere Guest

Simple, call Apple and tell them that this is not your repair. It happens...