Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I need recommendations for microphones for MacBook (wireless microphone) or iPod (Wired or Wireless) to record Yoga sessions. I tried to record using Internal Microphone and Garage Band on MacBook, but the voice of the instructor got too weak when she walked around the studio and away from the MacBook). To make things worse, we have lots of loud fan heaters in the studio (It's Hot Yoga). I'm doing this recording for my personal use (My favorite instructor is moving next spring), so the budget is limited--maybe $150 at most. I appreciate recommendations for microphones and recording tips. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i think you know that, in such an environment, the way to get a good signal is to get the mic close to her mouth. i'm sure she wouldn't want to be wired, so you're looking at some kind of wireless kit or have her wear the full kit (ruling out the macbook).

if anyone knows any inexpensive wireless systems, i'd love to know about one.

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Hi, thank you for your post, but I'm confused. In my original post I said that I'm looking for:

MacBook (wireless microphone) or iPod (Wired or Wireless)

You're saying the same thing, aren't you?

i think you know that, in such an environment, the way to get a good signal is to get the mic close to her mouth. i'm sure she wouldn't want to be wired, so you're looking at some kind of wireless kit or have her wear the full kit (ruling out the macbook).

if anyone knows any inexpensive wireless systems, i'd love to know about one.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Hi Keowee,

This is an out of left-field reply, but if you have an iPod Touch or other iPod for that matter, could you ask her to wear it, (with the arm holder) then give her the earphones with the built in Mic and set it recording when she commences the session?

Cheers.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I need recommendations for microphones for MacBook (wireless microphone) or iPod (Wired or Wireless) to record Yoga sessions. I tried to record using Internal Microphone and Garage Band on MacBook, but the voice of the instructor got too weak when she walked around the studio and away from the MacBook). To make things worse, we have lots of loud fan heaters in the studio (It's Hot Yoga). I'm doing this recording for my personal use (My favorite instructor is moving next spring), so the budget is limited--maybe $150 at most. I appreciate recommendations for microphones and recording tips. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance!

You say "wireless" so the instructor is wiling to wear a mic and radio pack? That is the best way to go if you can. Use a "lav" mic that clips to a shirt collar and the radio has a belt clip. But not on a $150 budget.

The other way is cheaper if you can get an iPod to act as a poertable recorder. I've not done that. But if you can it would be an economical way to go and the ipod is small. The place to look for a suitable mic is where they sell video camera equipment. Again get a lav type mic with a clip. Even a $60 mic will do a decent job.

The other way if the instructor will not wear a mic is to use a very highely directlonal mic from the rear. but being directional you need an operator to point it and follow the instructor, it's like shooting video but only you are using a "shot gun mic". If you buy from the video camera place you can get a pretty usable direction mic for under $100

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Lav mic

Thank you, ChrisA, for your post.

I even didn't know the term "lav" mic! I searched for "lav microphone" at Amazon.com (that's where I shop for most things as there are hardly any shops here) and found four types. Do you recommend any particular one (I suppose I should NOT get omnidirectional for my purpose)? What information should I look for to find out if they are compatible with iPod (large white one purchased in June 2007)?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A13BNE3P7C8THK&field-keywords=+Lav++Mic&x=0&y=0

Free shipping does not apply to Alaska, so I need to be extra careful in purchasing correct one. And, if you know any other on-line stores that carry better equipments, please let me know! Thank you very much for your help!

The other way is cheaper if you can get an iPod to act as a poertable recorder. I've not done that. But if you can it would be an economical way to go and the ipod is small. The place to look for a suitable mic is where they sell video camera equipment. Again get a lav type mic with a clip. Even a $60 mic will do a decent job.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I hate to say it, but if you don't know what a lav type mic is, Amazon is NOT the place to shop. Buy from a retailer who has sales people who know about and actually use audio equipment

I don't know about all the different brands of Lavaliere Microphones but look at this page and see the note where it reads "Need Help Choosing". Give them a call. They are good to deal with, free shipping and free extended warranty and lifetime tech support. You deal with a real person who's name you know. You don't get that at Amazon. These guys have a recording studio and the sales staff actually uses the stuff they sell.
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/microphones/
(No connection except as a customer.)

Oh, BTW you don't aim lav mics, you just clip them on so they have to be omni-directional.
Even a cheap one will be 100X better then what you were using. Give the guys about a call and tell them the whole problem, about what you are going to lug the mic into and so on and that it's a yoga class and give him a budget to work with. Make the reseller work for your money.

Thank you, ChrisA, for your post.

I even didn't know the term "lav" mic! I searched for "lav microphone" at Amazon.com (that's where I shop for most things as there are hardly any shops here) and found four types. Do you recommend any particular one (I suppose I should NOT get omnidirectional for my purpose)? What information should I look for to find out if they are compatible with iPod (large white one purchased in June 2007)?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A13BNE3P7C8THK&field-keywords=+Lav++Mic&x=0&y=0

Free shipping does not apply to Alaska, so I need to be extra careful in purchasing correct one. And, if you know any other on-line stores that carry better equipments, please let me know! Thank you very much for your help!

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone

Dear ChrisA ,

Thank you for telling me about the store. I called them, and a representative recommended "Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone." He said that there was no wired microphone for iPod that works and Yeti should pick up sounds better than an iPod with a little lavaliere microphone. (BTW, I knew what it looked like but not its name. I'm not least offended anyway and appreciate your taking the time to help me!)

If anyone has comments on "Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone", I'd be happy to hear from you. Thank you!

I hate to say it, but if you don't know what a lav type mic is, Amazon is NOT the place to shop. Buy from a retailer who has sales people who know about and actually use audio equipment

I don't know about all the different brands of Lavaliere Microphones but look at this page and see the note where it reads "Need Help Choosing". Give them a call. They are good to deal with, free shipping and free extended warranty and lifetime tech support. You deal with a real person who's name you know. You don't get that at Amazon. These guys have a recording studio and the sales staff actually uses the stuff they sell.
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/microphones/
(No connection except as a customer.)

Oh, BTW you don't aim lav mics, you just clip them on so they have to be omni-directional.
Even a cheap one will be 100X better then what you were using. Give the guys about a call and tell them the whole problem, about what you are going to lug the mic into and so on and that it's a yoga class and give him a budget to work with. Make the reseller work for your money.

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
No wired lav mic for iPod...

High ChrisA,

Yes, that's what I was hoping to do, but the tech person at the shop you recommended said "there is no such mic." He believes Yeti records better than iPod w/lav mic. Maybe I misread your advice? I'm supposed to go to a different type of shop for this setting?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'm skeptical. i don't know much about recording to an ipod, but i will assert that lavs are the solution here. the yeti doesn't even have a hypercardioid pattern! how is that going to work at a distance?

keowee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Lav mic for iPod?

Hi zimv20,

I would have thought that iPod w/a lav mic would be better, but the tech at Sweetwater, which was highly recommended in a previous post, was definite about Yeti. He was definite that it would pick up the instructor's speech in all directions when she moved around the room. He also added that if Yeti won't work, nothing would work unless I spent several hundred dollars.....

I'm quite lost...

i'm skeptical. i don't know much about recording to an ipod, but i will assert that lavs are the solution here. the yeti doesn't even have a hypercardioid pattern! how is that going to work at a distance?

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
For what you described in your original post, a lav is the best fit. I don't know about recording to an iPod either, but I've seen products over the years that claim to enable it.

He was definite that it would pick up the instructor's speech in all directions when she moved around the room.

The Yeti can have an omni pattern, so I guess it could work, but it'd certainly be a poorer pick up than a lav. With the Yeti, volume would fluctuate as the instructor moves nearer and further from the mic, and when the instructor's back is to the mic, it'd only be picking up reflected sound...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.