Help reconnecting a ribbon on my MBP's logic board!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lavezzi, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Lavezzi macrumors member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi guys,

I took out my MBP's logic board yesterday so that I could apply some thermal paste to the CPU and GPU dies as they were running way too hot causing the computer to shut down.

Taking out the board went fine, but whilst trying to put it back in, one particular ribbon is causing me grief as it simply does not want to sit in the connector that it should.

If anyone has performed the same procedure before then I would be very grateful for any techniques or tips for trying to get the ribbon back in place.

I've attached a photo of the ribbon in question. Thanks!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

Apr 22, 2010
    That is a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket. The latch is at the top of the connector (the end closest to the center of the board). You need to lightly pry up the latch and that will release the pressure on it. Insert the cable fully and then relatch it. The latch is small and fragile. You will need something small and forgiving (to not scratch or destroy) anything like a spludger, toothpick,or I used a small zip tie i had laying around. I hope you didn't pull too hard and break something during disassembly. Good luck, as it should be a simple and easy procedure to re-insert and engage within the socket.
  3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh my, I remember having this problem... I recall using a toothpick with something slightly adhesive stuck to one end to hold the ribbon in place and using another toothpick to flip open the latch.
  4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    There's also an extra bit of ribbon that deviates from the line that you can use to help "pull" the ribbon into place with. Imagine a "Y" in that one end of the Y is the connector and the other end is just there. You angle the connector downward to fit into the socket and then pull the other end towards and above the socket to help slip it into place.

If I'm not mistaken, that ribbon is for your keyboard, so you'll know you've got it plugged in right when all the keys work :)