Help Reconnecting My imac to internet Through Ethernet Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NewMacGirl, Apr 16, 2008.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

We had a lightening strike the other day which took out our cable modem. It was connected to a wireless Ethernet Router which fed my husbands PC and My imac. We had a new modem delivered today and my Husbands PC (Oh is he SMUG!) connected straight away but no luck with mac.

When I connect the ethernet cable to the router there is no light but there is one for the PC connection . We have tried switching ports and cables but it always works with the PC but the MAC is dead.

Is there any way of testing if the ethernet connector on my mac has failed-should the light go on the router as it doesn't. The PC lights up even without the cable form the modem connected.

IF this is the case can we get a new wireless modem and connect to the internet wirelessly using airport? I had a look and it seemed to have detected some wireless networks in the area.

We had a Dell laptop connected to the wireless network before (before it was zapped) but I thought you need an apple wireless router to connect an an imac to?

HELP:(

2. Nanookfan macrumors member

To test the ethernet port on your Mac, have you tried taking the router out of the equation and plugged the Mac in straight from the modem?

No, you do not need an Apple wireless router to connect your iMac via airport. Any compliant 802.11 b/g/n router will do. For instance I am currently using a Linksys router with my iMac.

3. needthephone macrumors 6502a

One critisism of macs compared to PC's- Macs are tricky to set up for the internet. Its OK for computer techs who know what DNS gateways are subnet masks and IP addresses but the rest of us haven't got a clue.

If I use the wireless is it easy to set up as I tried it when our wireless router (a D-Link 802.11g Di 524) I didn't know what to do.