Help recovering hard drive image

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adas524, Apr 17, 2016.

1. adas524 macrumors newbie

adas524

I've been working at this for about a week now to no avail so if anyone can help me I would be so, so thankful. Here's what happened:

I get a lot of software through my academic institution, which means that I give it to IT and they load all their stuff. This means that when stuff breaks, like my 2013 MBP Retina did last week (screen broke), I also have to use them as primary tech support. So I made a time machine backup, and when they gave me back the fixed computer I restored from the backup using the data migration. But this time I noticed something weird:

Basically in Disk Utility my "Macintosh HD" partition was listed as a sub-partition of "disk0s2" which itself was a partition of the internal solid state drive. I don't know if this is even possible but that's what was showing, so if I used "diskutil list" in terminal, my actual OS X hard drive was given the path /dev/disk0s2s1 . I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it but then when I tried creating a bootable capitan external hard-drive, the computer stopped being able to boot. Basically when I used diskutil in from Recovery, it now didn't list my Macintosh HD partition at all, it now only had this:

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: 46860E2C-2310-4F96-99F6-616D0B4CB55D 499.4 GB disk2s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OSX 134.2 MB disk2s3

I had to return the external hard drive I used so I no longer have the time machine backup. I needed the computer to work and work soon so I eventually had to wipe the disk and reinstall the OS. Before doing that I made a disk image of the overall hard drive, which I now have saved on another external hard drive. When I try to mount the image, I run into issues with the filesystem. Using debug in Disk Utility I can reveal all hidden partitions so I now see disk2s2 as a partition but can't mount it because there is no recognized filesystem. I have tried using gdisk and testdisk to recover the partition but I don't know how to make it work.

My hypothesis is this: because of that strange configuration of partitions that I mentioned in the beginning, the "Macintosh HD" partition I want is offset somehow within disk2s2. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do now because I haven't found anyone in a similar situation with the original redundant partition problem.

Please, please, please let me know if anyone has any ideas on what I should do

Code:
    $ DISKUTIL info /dev/disk2
       Device Identifier:        disk2
       Device Node:              /dev/disk2
       Part of Whole:            disk2
       Device / Media Name:      Apple UDIF read-only compressed (zlib) Media

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Content (IOContent):      GUID_partition_scheme
       OS Can Be Installed:      No
       Media Type:               Generic
       Protocol:                 Disk Image
       SMART Status:             Not Supported

Total Size:               500.3 GB (500277790720 Bytes) (exactly 977105060 512-Byte-Units)
       Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
       Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          Yes
       Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)
       Ejectable:                Yes

Whole:                    Yes
       Internal:                 No
       OS 9 Drivers:             No
       Low Level Format:         Not supported

$ diskutil info /dev/disk2s2
       Device Identifier:        disk2s2
       Device Node:              /dev/disk2s2
       Part of Whole:            disk2
       Device / Media Name:      Hard Drive

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Partition Type:           46860E2C-2310-4F96-99F6-616D0B4CB55D
       OS Can Be Installed:      No
       Media Type:               Generic
       Protocol:                 Disk Image
       SMART Status:             Not Supported

Total Size:               499.4 GB (499417796608 Bytes) (exactly 975425384 512-Byte-Units)
       Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
       Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          Yes
       Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)
       Ejectable:                Yes

Whole:                    No
       Internal:                 No

2. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

Wow, what a mess! :eek:

Where is the external disc that contains the Time Machine backup?

3. adas524 thread starter macrumors newbie

adas524

I know haha, the disk is wiped - had to return it to my friend

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

A suggestion:

In the future (yes, I realize this doesn't help RIGHT NOW), use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a BOOTABLE cloned backup of your internal drive.

If you had such a backup "close by", you wouldn't be having these problems now.

Go forth, a sadder but wiser young man, from this day having learned...

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

OP:

I agree with Fishrrman, its prudent to have more than one backup software and external drive in case of problems.

As for the problem I am not sure why it occurred but you can try some other recovery software such as Data Rescue, Disk Drill etc. to recover the data from the image. Based on the problem description its possible that won't work because you don't have the original hard drive which would make the attempt more likely to succeed.

If the data is valuable you might want to consider contacting data recovery company. Keep in mind recovery is likely to be expensive...

6. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I keep a 2nd month old "spare" TimeMachine, a clone from before the last update to MacOS.

Drives fail, power goes out during backup. Safest is to clone while using a different boot volume.

Favor CCC for creating Recovery volume and doing checksums on copy