Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
So heres the lowdown my family received a free netbook hp mini 110 when we got Verizon fios. It was my brothers for about 4 months before guess what... we got a virus who would have thought :rolleyes: but heres the problem theres no disk drive and it didn't come with either a restore disk or restore thumb drive so i don't know how to do this without purchasing an upgrade. Im just trying to sell this thing for him so we can use the money towards a mac the rest of us have one he needs one to.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
There should be a second partition on the hard drive, which contains the restore partition. You should be able to boot off of that partition and reinstall Windows.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
There should be a second partition on the hard drive, which contains the restore partition. You should be able to boot off of that partition and reinstall Windows.

hmm didn't know that i'll look for it and report back

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Hello.

I suggest going to HP's website and try to find the users manual.

Usually when you turn it on there will be an opportunity to press a key to restore the factory configuration. This will also reformat the machine.

The screen may say something like "press F2 for configuration utility" for a moment, or it might not read anything at all. The manual should say.

Good luck,
Keri

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Hello.

I suggest going to HP's website and try to find the users manual.

Usually when you turn it on there will be an opportunity to press a key to restore the factory configuration. This will also reformat the machine.

The screen may say something like "press F2 for configuration utility" for a moment, or it might not read anything at all. The manual should say.

Good luck,
Keri

thanks will do im surching for te charger right now can't find it.:eek:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
go to the HP web sight and it will tell you how. It is a hidden partition normally and the only way you will get find it is to do something before a restart.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
go to the HP web sight and it will tell you how. It is a hidden partition normally and the only way you will get find it is to do something before a restart.

i just found something on the hp website from another person on there forms and when i right click my computer disk management i only have one partition were it says i should have 2

not sure if this is it but im trying it now http://myhpmini.com/forum/guide-how-to-factory-restore-windows-xp-home-on-mini-t42.html

Last edited:

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
never mind it didnt work it did like an upgrade from windows xp to windows xp and i still get this pop up about avria premium 9.0

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
You could always download a free OS like Ubuntu to a flash drive and boot from the USB to install they make a pretty decent net book specific OS that has all the hardware compatibilities built in with Firefox web browser and you can find a decent fully functional IM called Gyachi for it that will do everything Yahoo can do ads well as sign on to other messenger services and IRC. I use Ubuntu on my old Dell Laptop it has never given me issues and connects to the wireless network without a hassle.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
You could always download a free OS like Ubuntu to a flash drive and boot from the USB to install they make a pretty decent net book specific OS that has all the hardware compatibilities built in with Firefox web browser and you can find a decent fully functional IM called Gyachi for it that will do everything Yahoo can do ads well as sign on to other messenger services and IRC. I use Ubuntu on my old Dell Laptop it has never given me issues and connects to the wireless network without a hassle.

He might bet more money from a netbook with XP just because people are silly and prefer windows. :/ Personally I'd take one with no OS installed so I can install ArchLinux :D

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I'm putting a vote behind Ubuntu...unless you need something from Windows, Ubuntu is quite a bit more modern then XP.

I have found that if you need something windows specific (exe) on Ubuntu installing Wine does the trick nicely. Especially when it comes to games.

I have tested a few windows exe files using it. It doesn't work great with iTunes or Yahoo messenger, but it runs Second Life, and a few PC based games pretty good as long as you have a good GPU and enough RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.