Help reformatting mbp w/ cracked screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cypher381, Sep 7, 2009.

1. cypher381 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I have a Macbook Pro 2.16 Core Duo, and I'm wanting to install 10.6, but about a year ago, I cracked my screen to the point that I cannot make anything out on it, and haven't replaced it. Instead, I have just been using it in clamshell mode, which has worked out fine so far. My problem is that I cannot get the 10.6 install to show up on my external monitor.

I searched around, and could only find one other similar thread that just ended with the author putting it in clamshell and having it work fine. When I boot to the install and close the screen, I just get a grey box on my external display with a black bar on either side of it. I can't seem to find any other resources, so I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If you have another Mac, you could boot your MacBook in target disk mode (holding the "t" key right after turning it on), connect it to the other Mac via FireWire and install Snow Leopard on the MacBooks hard drive this way.

3. cypher381 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to see if I can't get one of my friends to let me use theirs, and then I'll give it a try.

4. cypher381 thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out my friend's Macbook doesn't even have firewire, so target disc mode wasn't going to work out, but he was willing to just swap hard drives and install on his, which worked out fine. Thanks for the suggestion though.