Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
I need help choosing a new iMac. I was thinking go Mac Pro but due to a tight budget I have to stick to an iMac at the moment. I currently own a iMac G5 but I want to move onto a faster processor.

On Apple's Refurb store they have both 24" iMacs, Alu 2.4 and the White 2.16. For those who have had experience with one or both of the these iMac's can you answer these questions for me?

-Is their a big difference in the speed of the processors?
-Alu iMac max memory is 4GB. White iMac is 3GB. Is that 1GB really a big difference?
-Does the Alu iMac still have issues with condensation within the glass?
-***Any inputs you all may have please let me know***

The price difference is $150. So if you all would kindly give me advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I prefer the screen and lack of reflecto-glass on the white iMac. I also prefer the design. The AluMac is a little gaudy for my taste.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
You already have a G5... so go with the newer style. It will feel better than spending money on something that looks almost identical.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Why don't you wait? Your G5 should still be plenty peppy. Save your $$$ and get a Nehalem Mac Pro when they come out. Should be a pretty radical upgrade.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I'd probably save the iMac and wait until quad core iMacs come out.

That is of course, unless, you sell your G5 iMac for a great price and a C2D iMac (white or alu) is only an incremental cost.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
What do you use the computer for? Because no one can make any recommendations without knowing what you are doing with the machine.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
I'm basically going to use the iMac for my photography and a little bit of video editing. But primarily for my photos. I want a big screen and a decent processor to run Aperture and/or CS3.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I'm basically going to use the iMac for my photography and a little bit of video editing. But primarily for my photos. I want a big screen and a decent processor to run Aperture and/or CS3.

If you are mostly using it for photography then go with the White iMac. I have a 2.16 White iMac and do alot of photography too. My dad has the Aluminum iMac and the glossy screen makes it hard to do editing. Plus I hate the reflections in it. The glossy screen is not so bad in the laptops cause you can move them around till there is no glare, but with an iMac, it's stuck on your desk. I'd say go with the White iMac unless they come out with an Aluminum iMac with a matte screen.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Silverbird. You seem to have almost the exact same set up as I do. Except that I'm shooting the D80.thanks for the input. Now I have to see who will buy my G5 at decent price.

curiosa863

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
I would go with the aluminum.
I got an iBook g4 (still my only computer) 3 years ago, right before a revision.
That aluminum case will pass for cool for a long time, the acrylic is going to be played out very soon, if not already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.