Help regarding installing Windows program on Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iChanged, Oct 5, 2009.

1. iChanged macrumors member

iChanged

I use a Macbook Pro 2009 13", 2.26 GHz on Snow Leopard. There is an exe program I need to run on my mac. There are apps available, but because the program is not a very widely used one (GRE preparation CD installation package) , hence it's not compatible with the existing programs like Crossover and the likes. I also do not want to go through all the trouble of creating a partition and installing Windows instead. Is there some way of getting through with this?

Thanks. :)

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Looks like you're stuck. If it's incompatible with Crossover, Parallels, VMWare Fusion and other virtualization techniques, and you don't want to create a Boot Camp partition, you might just have to put it on another machine. With scarce (perhaps no) exception, EXEs do not run directly in OS X; they're compiled specifically for the Microsoft OS.

Are you sure it won't run with Parallels or VMWare?

3. iChanged thread starter macrumors member

iChanged

Well I haven't tried yet, so there's no certainty whether it will or won't. Would try anyways.

I just bumped into emulators. Will they be sufficient?

4. iChanged thread starter macrumors member

iChanged

Many many thanks.
    I think this shall work, will give it a try. :)

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I'm fairly sure that Crossover is based on WINE. If it doesn't work in Crossover then it probably won't work in WINE.

OP, if you have a need to install and run Windows software and you don't want to dedicate a partition to Bootcamp then I strongly suggest investing in Fusion or Parallels to run Windows in a virtual environment. It's basically the same as running Windows just a bit slower and with very limited 3D support.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your options are quite limited, when it comes to running windows programs.
    virtual/bootcamp/wine and I concur with the other poster, I believe crossover is based on wine, so if it doesn't function for that, it will probably not work for wine.

Personally I think the easiest solution is to use vmware, takes only an hour to setup (including windows) and you have an environment to that provides you the ability to run windows programs without rebooting your mac

7. iChanged thread starter macrumors member

iChanged

Thanks for support.
    How much HD space do I need to sacrifice if I use VMWare or Parallels? I am kind of running short on that.

Besides... MAc is supposed to be virus free. If I start using windows either through Bootcamp or Virtual environment, am I opening gates for a "Viral attack'? :)

8. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Due to crossover being based on WINE.. WINE offers most up to date compatibility, so there is a chance it may work with new revisions