Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronmtorres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
hi guys,

long-time lurker, first time poster here. Anyway, I am pulling the trigger for my first mac ever. In other forums I'm active, I've been an avid fan of telling others to wait for the new MBP to come out (hopefully Jan/Feb) but the waiting has been killing me :( Now, I found a deal wherein I can buy either (1) a brand new uMBP late 2008, 15" 2.4 MHz 2Gb DDR3 ram, or (2) a July 2009 uMBP 15" 2.53 MHz 4Gb ram.

I will be using it mainly for internet/excel/maybe some gaming. My question is which do i choose? I am considering the older model because of the discrete GPU it has. Here are my concerns regarding the purchase:

1. Will I feel the .133 MHz speed difference? (I can always upgrade the Ram to 4GB to even the RAM battlefield)
2. Since the newer model has a "screen with 60% more colors," will I notice the difference? Or will the difference be much?
3. What should I be looking for when I meet-up with the seller? (Box, documentation, etc.)
4. How do I ensure that I'll be getting the item as described?
5. How do I make sure that I'll be getting an apple warranty? He said that the laptops have a one year Apple warranty.

Sorry for all the questions. I am really a noob. THank you for all your inpputs :)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I will be using it mainly for internet/excel/maybe some gaming. My question is which do i choose? I am considering the older model because of the discrete GPU it has. Here are my concerns regarding the purchase:

1. Will I feel the .133 MHz speed difference? (I can always upgrade the Ram to 4GB to even the RAM battlefield)
2. Since the newer model has a "screen with 60% more colors," will I notice the difference? Or will the difference be much?
3. What should I be looking for when I meet-up with the seller? (Box, documentation, etc.)
4. How do I ensure that I'll be getting the item as described?
5. How do I make sure that I'll be getting an apple warranty? He said that the laptops have a one year Apple warranty.

1. No
2. Probably not
3. I'd just ask to see the receipt.
4. Apple Menu -> "About this Mac" -> More Info
5. Ask him to show you the receipt. You're not going to get the full warranty because unless the seller purchased it yesterday the clock has already been ticking. You'll need to buy Applecare to extend the warranty for 2 more years. Check the status of the machine here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

ronmtorres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
thank you miles! since this is brand new, i'm hoping the warranty will start upon me opening the box and turning it on for the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.