Help regarding USB ports. Is this a common Problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by anglez, Aug 5, 2008.

1. anglez macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 24" iMac Alluminum (2.4 1st gen). I constantly have this problem where the usb ports in the rear of the imac fails while in use. It initially appears that the imac crashed because the mouse and keyboard wont work, but programs are still functioning. I can switch the usb connection to the second or third usb port and it begins to work briefly but tends to fail also. Most of the time I am forced to restart the Imac improperly. However the problem will most likely re-occur afterwards.

Has anyone heard of such a problem?? I want to bring it in to the apple store, but the thing is this problem occurs after minutes or hours of use, so they may not have a chance to see this problem. Any advice?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you wiggle the port around in any way? Possibly a loose connector?

3. Mastershake0219 macrumors newbie

Contact the apple store and explain the problem, im sure they will tell you to bring it in. But they may also be able to offer some sort of advice for you.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you using the Apple KB and mouse that came with it? are you using any hubs in connection with your iMac?

If you happen to have an extra mouse lying around, when this does take place, plug that other one in and go to System Profile and get to the USB section to see what it shows, and if you can, take a screen shot.

If you are able to tell when it happens, write that down, and when you take your system in, give them all of this information to help them replicate it but to also show what is going on.

best of luck.

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

i occasionally have that problem but i narrowed it down to my printer (also plugged into USB). i never get the problem when running only the iMac and keyboard and mouse. i've switched out the printer drivers a number of times, as well as recent leopard updates and haven't had the problem in a while now....
    do you have other USB devices plugged in?

6. anglez thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey MZD, you may be on to something. I've hooked up an hp 44" wide format printer onto my imac couple months ago, and ever since then I have been having this problem. This was my initial suspicion before, but I disregarded it. Good to know someone can relate. The printer however is linked via server, not usb. So if the printer is the one causing the problem it might be the driver or the software I d/l for it.

Are you still able to use the printer driver for that specific printer? or did you delete it entirely and stopped using it.