Help reinstalling OS without discs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Macjs2, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Macjs2 macrumors newbie

I purchased a MacBook that had probably snow leopard on it originally, but I bought it used and the previous owner upgraded to lion.

I got no discs when I bought it.

I decided to erase my hard drive and was planning on reinstalling my OS from the partition hard drive. I immediately ran into a problem when I was asked to enter my Apple ID and it says no copy of lion has been purchased with this id.

So I called apple and the guy told me to purchase a copy of lion so my iTunes account would show I have a valid copy of lion. So I did that. I have my redemption code, but no way of entering the code since I don't have access to the Mac App Store.

So I thought that perhaps I could go on another Mac and log into the App Store and redeem my code.

The lady on the apple support chat seems to be saying no, that I need to do it on the machine I am installing the OS on and that I need to buy some snow leopard discs.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my Mac book back up and running.....?.?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple makes it so hard. Seems like they are forcing you to a torrent site to download a bootable Mac OS X image.