HELP! relocating iTunes (v8.2) library to external and keeping playlists??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drummerboy03, Jul 13, 2009.

1. drummerboy03 macrumors member

I've read multiple threads on here about exclamation points in itunes library, but cannot find any solution that works. I am running the most recent version of MAC OS X (10.5.7) and most recent version of itunes (8.2)

I just relocated my MUSIC folder to an external drive. I went to preferences>advanced> and pointed to the new location.

My entire library is returning exclamation points. When I restart itunes (and my computer) it still gets the errors. Is there a way for itunes to refresh and actually follow the new location path i just stated under the advanced setting?!

i even tried to consolidate the library to the external (where the files were already) and it went through a quick check process and saw the files were there, but it still returns cannot locate file and exclamation points.. so frustrating..

I also tried to move the .itl file from the default Mac OS X internal HD location to the external drive folder "MUSIC". Then I launched itunes and held down alt/option key and located the .itl on the external and opened it from there. still no luck

I know that it will work if i delete all songs from my itunes and go through the add process again for the entire library on the new external drive, but i will loose my very important playlist and play counts!! There has to be a way to make this work, otherwise why would itunes have a setting to change the location of the music folder under advanced settings?!

please help, i'm desperate at this point and don't want to resort to loosing all my playlists/playcounts.

thanks

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Copying the ENTIRE "iTunes" folder in ~/Music from one Mac to another ports my iTunes library perfectly well for me. Does that not work for you?

3. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

I had my MUSIC folder on an external HD (western digital), then i build a new 3TB external to house all my data plus backup with time machine(1.5TB for general storage, 1.5TB to backup that storage drive). I moved my music folder from my old WD external to the new HD. I changed the file path under itunes preferences>advanced to point to the new location and I am still getting nothing but exclamation marks..

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Put your entire library back where it was then do the following:

1. Change the library's location in Preferences.

2. Do File -> Library -> Consolidate Library.

3. Delete the iTunes Music folder that is in your Home folder.

Or look at this.

5. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I'm also going through migrating my iTunes from a small drive to a larger drive. Done it before a year ago, as described above, no problems.

However, today when I did this, the old location is showing that the iTunes music folder is 45.xx gigabytes, and the new location is only showing 38.xx gigabytes. I'm a little hesitant to just delete it (the old/original location).

Any ideas on this? If that was duplicates (which I doubt), that's ~7 gigs of duplicates?

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Found my problem. Was a bunch of old video podcasts that I no longer subscribe to. Interesting in that they were still there, but not copied (consolidated) over to the new drive. I guess I didn't delete them, but just unsubscribed.

Here is a really good explanation (at least for my thick skull):

Moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive