Help-Remote printing to my iMac from a PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jim31, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jim31 macrumors newbie

Running Lion on my Imac desktop and I have a HP Photosmart C5200 printer installed via a USB connection.

Printing works fine on the iMac as well as from Windows XP & Win7 running under Parallels 7.

The problem is that neither of my LAN PC's (Windows XP & Windows 7) can find my iMac printer! When I attempt to add a remote printer on one of these PC's, it will detect my iMac on the network but when I enter the printer name it simply says can not find it!

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Not trying to be an a**, just starting from the beginning of the process - is the printer powered on when trying to add it? Also what steps did you follow to setup print sharing on the Mac side?

3. jim31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Remote PC printer problem

Yes the HP printer is powered on.

As for the iMac setup I opened System Preferences,Sharing, and enabled printer sharing and checked the HP Photosmart box. Opened Printer & Scan preferences, checked "share this printer on the network". Default printer is Hp Protosmart C5200 series.

First time mac user only since Jan 2011.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Cool, all that seems correct on the Mac side.

A couple things to double check:
    1. Make sure the computer workgroup name is the same on both OSX and Windows - default is Workgroup so as long as nothing has been changed it should work fine already.
    2. Make sure you have the correct driver installed on the other Windows machines as well.
    3. Double check that the iMac isn't in sleep mode when trying to add the printer.

Also when adding the printer on the Windows side make sure to add it as a "network, wireless or bluetooth printer."

If none of those help out, then hopefully someone more technically oriented will be about soon with more ideas. :)

5. jim31 thread starter macrumors newbie

PC printer problem follow up

When I attempt to add the iMac network printer (HP Photosmart c5200) from my Windows XP system, the network does recognizes my iMac but it then responds with the Message "either printer name incorrect or printer has lost its connection to the server".

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I share my non-network printer among PCs and Macs using an AirPort Express. It works flawlessly. I would like to suggest to you to use an AirPort Express. This way you do not have to rely on your iMac for printing from other computers.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

1. On your mac open a browswer and type in http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/
    write down the "queue name" of the printer.
    2. Go to System Prefs>Network> make note of the ip address of the mac
    3. On the XP machine, add the network printer, don't search for it just type the following in the URL bar: "http://your.macs.ip.address:631/printers/queue name" - replace your.macs.ip.address with the actual ip address and queue name with the actual name of the printer.

8. jim31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Printer problem - reply

killerobot & others

The queue name of my printer is:

HP_Photosmart_C5200_Series

On the PC (add network printer) I entered:

http://192.168.1.102:631/printers/HP_Photosmart_C5200_Series

Sorry but I got the same error message, could not find printer

Workgroups are MSHOME on all computers

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Ok two more things to try: hopefully this is it this time.
    1. Replace the "_" with spaces in the printer name

If that doesn't work:
    2. Go into system prefs> Print & Scan > select the HP Photosmart C5200 > options and supplies > change the printer name to something very simple, no spaces, no symbols, only alpha numeric such as "iMacprinter"

Windows might be having a problem resolving the printer name because it doesn't always handle High ASCII characters (anything you need the option key for) the same as OSX.

3. (Okay I know I said two more only) ... uninstall the printer and reinstall it again using the simple name to begin with.

I hope this works. Fingers crossed.

10. jim31 thread starter macrumors newbie

printer problems

Will try suggestions Monday evening and report back - thanks