Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Hi,

I am getting rid of my old imac - runs on OS9. Can anyone help me out with a step by step guide of how to clean it of personal data before I ger rid of it?

Also - what is the best thing to do with it? Dump it? Recyle?

Thanks!

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I am getting rid of my old imac - runs on OS9. Can anyone help me out with a step by step guide of how to clean it of personal data before I ger rid of it?

Also - what is the best thing to do with it? Dump it? Recyle?

Boot from the System disk that came with the computer, do an erase and install. I would recycle it. There is always some church, school, library or person who can use a free computer. Best wishes.

Norwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Thank you both for your advice - that's really helpful.

In the meantime I have bought a memory stick to transfer files. I put it ion and transferred a folder, then got repeated messages saying something was wrong and that data may be lost. Yep - a whole folder of my work has disappeared. I am now scared to put anything else on it. Is this the stick or the mac. I am inclined to think the latter as nothing on it seems to work these days. How am I going to get my info onto the new computer?/??

Thanks

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
Thank you both for your advice - that's really helpful.

In the meantime I have bought a memory stick to transfer files. I put it ion and transferred a folder, then got repeated messages saying something was wrong and that data may be lost. Yep - a whole folder of my work has disappeared. I am now scared to put anything else on it. Is this the stick or the mac. I am inclined to think the latter as nothing on it seems to work these days. How am I going to get my info onto the new computer?/??

Thanks

It could be bad drivers for OS 9, allthough I am not an clasic expert so I may very well be wrong.

If the USB isnt working, you could try burining it to a CD, (if you have a CD burner) or even try creating a folder with all of your information on it, compress it if nessesary, then e-mail it to yourself, (to store it on your mail servers to download agian...I think gmail gives you 20mb attatchments) or try uploading it to a free servise like box.net, which offers a gig. of free storage. (there is a maximum file size of 10mb however, so you may need to break it up) Then on your new computer, just go and download your files.

Good luck. ;)

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
You learned a good lesson from this...which is...

NEVER use "move" on important files. ALWAYS use copy and then delete the original files.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I'm only partially kidding...if you're going to toss the computer anyway, take a sledgehammer to the drive.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I'm only partially kidding...if you're going to toss the computer anyway, take a sledgehammer to the drive.

You could also just borrow a retail OS X Cd, boot from it, and then use disk utility to zero out the drive.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Boot from the System disk that came with the computer, do an erase and install.

There is no "Erase and Install" button on OS 9

On pre-OSX systems, you have to boot from the CD, manually open the Disk Utility / Drive Setup / HD Setup (name varies with different versions of the OS) from the Utilities folder on the CD, and Initialize / Erase / Format the drive, then do an OS installation.

NEVER use "move" on important files. ALWAYS use copy and then delete the original files.

When you drag a folder from one Volume to another Volume (as what would be the case 'moving' something to a USB drive) it always copies. The only time the OS moves volume to volume rather than copies is if you hold a modifier key down during the drag.

OP: did you delete the files from the hard drive? What evidence do you have that the folder is gone?

Your iMac is USB 1.1 - what does the USB key documentation say about compatibility with USB 1.1 and OS9? Did it come with any Extensions or drivers for Mac OS9? If so, did you install these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.