Help! Repair center changed my password?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rsherid, Sep 13, 2009.

1. rsherid macrumors member

I just got my Mac back from the shop. I left my login password with them so they could go in, fix it, and do what they have to do. Now that I have it back, the following things have changed:

- My account, started by me protected by that password, now AUTOMATICALLY logs in at startup.
    - They created a new account, known as 'Other...'
    - The login password, which I've always used, no longer works when I need to unlock settings changes.

What should I do?

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

3. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Really? So this isn't standard practice? I understand the automatic login account -- it's quick for repairmen on a tight schedule -- but my old password, the one I gave them, isn't working to unlock the lock I put on my settings :(

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Try booting with your Mac OS X disc and use Disk Utility to reset the password.

For the next time you can create another user account with administrator privileges for them to use so they don't mess with yours.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

This will reset your pw (WITHOUT needing the Install DVD):

1. Restart the computer holding Cmd-S.
    2. When you get to the command prompt, type: mount -uw /
    3. Then type: passwd username (replacing 'username' with your username, obviously).
    4. Type in a new password (it'll ask for it twice).
    5. Type reboot -r now

6. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to give that a try.

On an unrelated note, what works best for cleaning a glossy MacBook screen? I have a water and rubbing alcohol mixture that worked well on a matte.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I use some wipes for electronic devices (has alcohol), and use a cloth to dry it leaving no streak marks.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

iKlear works fine. Just make sure your wipe it in circles and not straight up and down/across so you won't get streaks all over your screen :)

9. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Tried this, got to step 4 and it didn't ask me to type in a password. When I did, it said something like "unrecognized command."

It should be noted that my username in step 3 is the username I've always used, which is still an active account...I just need to give it a password since the repair center removed it.