Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilsun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
hello :) this is my first post just found this site i am new to mac and hope someone can give me a hand

i purchased a second hand macbook pro mine is fine now i purchased a 2nd faulty one thinking i would repair it and give to my brother

the problem is it had a cracked screen thats fine in the box with everything screen is cracked and makes beep beep beep, 3 beep noise i read up before buying that the problem is faulty ram to reseat it and that will stop

next step i reseated the ram the noise still happens when it loads up but i can not see the screen yet because i have not purchased the new one was just checking to see if the noise would stop, i am buying 2x4gig sticks for my laptop so i will throw mine into the broken one and hope that solves ram issue

now i purchased a display adaptor dp to vga to connect to my lcd screen and see what is going on before i buy the new screen i can not see anything nothing comes up on screen i plug it into my working laptop it works fine with no mouse/kb it uses as primary with mouse keyboard goes to secondary but with the faulty laptop it shows nothing no matter what i do

:/

i been reading around here and seen few people say maybe faulty logic board? or faulty graphics chip? any tips as i have almost hit a wall

thank you any feedback / responses are greatly appreciated

Wil

Last edited:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
hello :) this is my first post just found this site i am new to mac and hope someone can give me a hand

i purchased a second hand macbook pro mine is fine now i purchased a 2nd faulty one thinking i would repair it and give to my brother

the problem is it had a cracked screen thats fine in the box with everything screen is cracked and makes beep beep beep, 3 beep noise i read up before buying that the problem is faulty ram to reseat it and that will stop

next step i reseated the ram the noise still happens when it loads up but i can not see the screen yet because i have not purchased the new one was just checking to see if the noise would stop, i am buying 2x4gig sticks for my laptop so i will throw mine into the broken one and hope that solves ram issue

now i purchased a display adaptor dp to vga to connect to my lcd screen and see what is going on before i buy the new screen i can not see anything nothing comes up on screen i plug it into my working laptop it works fine with no mouse/kb it uses as primary with mouse keyboard goes to secondary but with the faulty laptop it shows nothing no matter what i do

:/

i been reading around here and seen few people say maybe faulty logic board? or faulty graphics chip? any tips as i have almost hit a wall

thank you any feedback / responses are greatly appreciated

Wil

The ram problem might be a faulty slot on the logic board. This may be more trouble then its worth. Try booting the RAM like this too, it might just be bad RAM

RAM 1 in Slot 0
Ram 1 in Slot 1
Ram 2 in slot 0
Ram 2 in slot 1

It it boots using both RAM cards, your cards are good, but it might be only 1 ram slot that is working correctly.

wilsun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
The ram problem might be a faulty slot on the logic board. This may be more trouble then its worth. Try booting the RAM like this too, it might just be bad RAM

RAM 1 in Slot 0
Ram 1 in Slot 1
Ram 2 in slot 0
Ram 2 in slot 1

It it boots using both RAM cards, your cards are good, but it might be only 1 ram slot that is working correctly.

hello :) thanks for replying to my thread

I'm going to try this now hopefully it will solve the 3x beep issue

any idea about the no display thing? even with external screen using display port adaptor? would be the logic board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.