Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
So the hard drive on my partner's 2009 MBA 2,1 has died. It was a bit sluggish with the hdd, so I'd like to replace it with a SSD. She only uses it for email and light web research, so she doesn't need a big SSD. 64GB would be fine, and 128GB better.

Typically Apple, the 2009 MBA uses a weird-ass drive interface that nobody else uses. A 24-pin LIF / ZIF SATA ribbon cable interface, whatever that is.

The prices for a SSD that fits are outrageous - £250 for a 128GB SSD!

So far, the options seem to be:

1) - somehow find a LIF to mini-SATA cable, somehow find a cheap 1.8'' SATA SSD, and somehow bodge it all into the space available. Unlikely.

2) - Put a small SSD into an external USB enclosure, duct tape / glue it to the back of the screen on the MBA, and run the MBA off it via the USB port. Workable, but my girlfriend isn't going to like it very much.

3) - Get a small 1.8'' Compact Flash to LIF adaptor (there are several available, hopefully one will be LIF24), buy a 32gb or 64gb CF card (or a sdxc card) and stick the whole lot inside the MBA. Could work but I've never heard of anyone else doing this.

Any advice guys?

RedTomato

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mizzourah and N69AP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.