Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Hi

I have been asked o design a website for someone I know. I have a basic grasp of dreamweaver html and CSS, and have made a simple website that has several pages. The website is almost finished and working well.

The thing is he already has a website, a pretty naff one at that, hence the reason he got me to design him a new one.

Well Im pretty new to this and could probably work out how to setup a new domain name with a provider and upload my site but how would I get rid of his exsiting site and upload my site to his domain name?

zlinuk

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
UK
If I were in your position then this is how I would do it;

Define a new site in Dreamweaver (using his existing details for ftp and remote server).

Carry out a "Get" to import the remote site.

Delete all of the dowloaded files (locally only).

Build the new site locally.

Then carry out a sync, having selected the "Delete remote files not on local drive" option.

This will then upload the new site and delete the old all in one action.

There are easier ways to remove the old site, but I think that the above represents a fairly straightforward Dreamweaver workflow.

Good luck.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You just delete the existing files on the web server to get rid of the existing site. Nothing more to it really. Then you'll upload the new site files once you have them ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.