Help replacing Blank Screen Saver in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rbf1138, Sep 17, 2009.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

Since installing SL, as many know, many older screensavers no longer work. I looooved this Blank Screen Saver (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14051), and if anyone could tell me how I could use the same thing, or something incredibly similar, I'd be very very grateful.

Thanks!

2. nad24 macrumors newbie

Creating your own blank screen saver in Snow Leopard!

Hi there,

I have been scouring the net for new 64-bit versions of blank or blackened pixel screensavers to use with Snow Leopard since the old ones no longer work, to no avail. But I have found what I think is a great solution. I took 3 or 4 photos with my finger over the lens of my camera phone, uploaded them, and chose the screensaver option 'Pictures' and then the album containing these blank pictures. It works like a dream!

Nigel

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not quite...the thing that was great about Blank Screen Saver was that you could toggle the opacity of the darkness, so you could still see the programs on your desktop in real-time while the screensaver (w/ clock too) was on.

4. nad24 macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. That's not what I thought you were looking for then. I really liked the fully darkened blank screen screensaver as all the other ones are just so distracting (I can't understand why Apple wouldn't include it as an option). Often I am reading academic texts at my desk and need to concentrate but don't need my computer for that period and need it to disappear into the background, so to speak. Anyway, I've solved my problem and hope you find a developer who helps you solve yours. By the way, you can still have the clock showing on the screen with my solution. It's just that it doesn't move, so it might be a strain on those particular pixels it uses I suppose. Good luck!

Nigel

5. ColinScatt macrumors newbie

I had the same problem for a while, but finally found the solution I needed. This is the black screen screensaver, although it does not yet support the transparency. I would think it will probably be added soon enough. Hope this helps somewhat!

http://www.dr-lex.be/software/download/BlackScreen1_1.zip

6. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thanks, that's a start. I wrote to the author asking if he could possibly add a transparency toggle, which would make this exactly what I'm looking for.

Go Phils!

7. DrLex macrumors newbie

Do not link to files directly, link to the webpage that contains them. In this case:
    http://www.dr-lex.be/software/screensavers.html

As for the transparency, I have no idea how to implement that. It's probably something simple but I have little experience with programming OS X-specific stuff. You may try to contact the author of the other Blank Screen saver and ask to compile a SL-compatible version.

8. drjump macrumors newbie

Desktop capture for screensaver causes black screensaver

Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
    Proc. 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Mem. 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quartz Composer
    Version 4.0 (103.1)
    Framework Version 4.1 (156.10)

Take the STANDARD screensaver with quartz composer and save it and use it as a screensaver and you get a black screen. HOWEVER it tests just perfectly normal... the way you would hope for it to work. TEST works, however when the screensaver starts, by using hot corner or just waiting for it the screen goes black.

MY HYPOTHESIS - when the screensaver runs, the screen turns black, the screensaver that is trying to pull an image of the desktop is pulling that black screen image.

FIX?!?!??!? I DON'T KNOW ...

Of course I don't know that much about quartz composer, or creation of screensavers but such a SIMPLE thing as a blurry screen of your active desktop windows included and all is VERY confusingly difficult.

PLEASE HELP ME!:mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

9. armagnad macrumors newbie

Black Screensave solution

Thank you for this solution for enabling a black screensaver!

10. MACrille macrumors newbie

11. BMNB1tch macrumors regular