[Help] - Replacing iPhone at Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rure, May 26, 2010.

1. Rure macrumors newbie

So my free 1 year warranty from Apple is about to expire (The "Repairs and Service Coverage: Active" one). And I have a iPhone 3Gs and I want them to swap it since i have some bad scratches and marks on it (I know it sounds ridiculous but I want to take advantage of my free warranty hah)

I had a plan where I would SSH into my phone, delete everything, and make an appointment at the Genius Bar telling them something is wrong with my phone.

The thing is, i'm worried that if they choose not to fix it and charge me a price, i'm left with a brick.
    So if I deleted everything from SSH could I still save my phone? And would this work at the Apple Store?

Thanks for the help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will always work no matter what you try to do to it software wise.
    All anyone has to do is plug it into itunes and restore it.
    Find a better excuse or try not to scam anyone in order to get a refurb cause of the scratches and marks you caused.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

Wow, such dishonesty. At least try to find something legitimately wrong with it like maybe hairline cracks at least...

4. rkswat macrumors regular

I'm with the others... They will not swap it simply for scratches. Good luck going in and trying that, I hope they laugh you out of the store. Why should they replace a phone that you scratched from lack of care?

5. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

It's a warranty. Meaning, it covers you if the iPhone fails due to a fault of the manufacturer. It does not provide for a free replacement because you failed to take proper care of your device.

My car that I purchased brand new (and is under warranty) has been scratched and dented in the two years that I have owned it. Should I bring it back to the dealer and request that they swap it out for a new one? :confused: