Help Replacing Motherboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zerostar2410, Oct 31, 2014.

1. zerostar2410, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

zerostar2410 macrumors newbie

Ok, so i just broke my mac book pro A1286 i7 2.66 GHz (Mid 2010). I want to try and take it apart and fix it before i go out and spend more money than i have too. my computer came into contact with water and when i turned it on, ZAP! the screen went blank.

I took my laptop to a technician in my area and he said that my motherboard needs to be replaced. There is no visuals on screen. starts up with no picture and no start up chime. I am able to hook up my laptop to monitors and Tv's and get it to work.

My questions:
    is it really my motherboard that needs to be replaced?
    if so, are the motherboards interchangeable between the 2.4 i5, 2.53 i5, 2.66 i7, and 2.8 i7?
    If not, what is the cheapest motherboard i can get and where from?
    I found a motherboard from 2009 for a good price. Will this work? what are the differences?

2. jimmyco2008, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Sounds like it. I'm not sure what else it would be.

The only difference in motherboards for the same model would be the CPU and GPU (if any). So you can put an i5 Mobo in your MacBook Pro, it doesn't have to have an i7. Just make sure you're getting a mobo for the model year (ie Mid 2010) and screen size (ie 13").

The battery, touchpad, keyboard, SuperDrive, etc. will all connect like it was your old motherboard.

In theory, the water could have damaged other components as well, so I can't say "oh just get a new mobo and your MacBook will be 100%!"

EDIT: I didn't catch that it works with external displays... Still, you spilled water on the thing, and the mobo controls the built-in display... So I think you'd need a new mobo anyway.

3. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

The logic board might be toast, it might not.

So just to make sure, you are able to get the machine to start up, and you can produce video when connected to an external display? It is possible you just have corrosion on the LVDS connector where the internal LCD connects to the logic board. I commonly see corrosion there in system where liquid damage is present. Go to your local hardware/electronics store and look for electronics cleaner. It's stellar at removing corrosion. Wherever you see corrosion on the logic board, hit it with some cleaner and gently brush with a toothbrush. I've had a lot of luck bringing systems back from the dead by doing this.

After you clean the board, perform a SMC reset and a NVRAM reset.

If cleaning the corrosion is unsuccessful, there is still a possibility the logic board hasn't failed, inspect the LVDS cable for charring or damaged pins. If the pins on the cable are damaged, you may need a replacement LCD/Clamshell as well.

You might be able to shoehorn an 09 MLB in there, but it isn't worth your time. The board layout between the i5s and i7s will be identical on the Mid '10 board, so pick whichever you can afford.

The most important thing to remember while attempting any repairs is to minimize ESD damage, so be sure to do any repairs properly grounded.

If all else fails, or if this feels too ambitious for you, I'd check out Microreplay. In situations where we've been unable to fix a board, but don't necessarily want to replace the MLB, we send our boards there.

I'll PM you some additional information if needed.