help replacing my 3gs with a 4g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by n8jackson80, Jun 11, 2010.

1. n8jackson80 macrumors newbie

so i have a 16gb 3gs without any contracts and im not looking to sign up for any. its under warranty untill september, and apple is discontinuing this phone....so, i was wondering how long you think it will be untill they run out of the 3gs refurbs. if something were to "go wrong" with my 3gs, it would be very convenient if all they had to replace my phone with was a 4g:)

any tips or advice or knowledge?????
    thanks!

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Well, first of all... that kind of sounds like you're trying to cheat the system.

Second of all, I don't think they would give you a brand new iPhone 4. Considering they're still selling 8gb 3gS'... I think you'll be stuck with your 3gS unless you purchase and upgrade to the iPhone 4 like the rest of us.

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Seems a little unethical to me.

Why don't you just sell you 3GS on ebay and put the cash towards an unsubsidized iPhone 4.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Great idea. I agree.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

They'll have your old 3gs in refurb for you ready to go. You won't be getting the new phone. Try again.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

heh nope.

Guess what all the people who bought iPhone 3G's one year ago and have applecare will STILL get 3G's back because apple has plenty to give away. Same with the 3G. You can try to wait it out but you'll get no traction. My 2G warranty expired a month before the 3G was out and they gave me like for like.

7. Kyliec89 macrumors member

I don't know if this works the same or not, but I had an ipod that was covered still, and they were on like 2 generations later when something happened to mine. then i went in, and they magically had a really old ipod like mine to replace it with. So, i don't think you will be getting a iPhone 4 that way, even if it doesn't work like it did for my ipod.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

^THIS^

VERY LONG TIME

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

the fact that they still have first gen iphones makes me think no.

10. bat95132 macrumors member

They will have refurb 3gs for about another 1.5 years.. Then they will phase it out once the apple care starts to expire.

Just pay the money and dont find a work around. You dont want to extend the contract thats cool they have the $599-$699 price for that. Sell yours for $300 and your halfway there.

11. CJayC macrumors 6502

They still replace the iPhone 2G. Try your fraud somewhere else.

12. cowsrus macrumors 6502

they will never give you an iPhone 4 for a 3gs under warrenty

i have a 16gb 3G and you bet your ass if i went in there with a problem i would come out with a 16gb black 3G refurb even now

13. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Right guys, because Apple is the most ethical company in the world and no corporation is full of greedy, shiesty suits.

anyways...

OP I think they will give you a new one. I say this because when old macs get replaced with new ones they are supposed to match your current specs as best they can. Therefore there is no way they will make you settle for 8gb of space.

Unless of course they still have your model of phone available somewhere.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What does this have to do with purposely breaking a phone that's under warranty in order to get a free upgrade to a newer device? Nothing, so keep your unethical justifications to yourself.

Maybe you should realize that people have answered his questions above. They keep a supply of old units, he will not get a new one.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

'cause it's a lot easier to have a supply of old phones than old MacBooks!