HELP* replacing my HDD to SDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VERTTU, Dec 5, 2015.

1. VERTTU macrumors newbie

I've already bought a new RAM & SSD and i have no problem with the installation process. FYI i've MBP late 2011.

EXCEPT the cloning and backing up steps part . How can i clone and backup my HDD. i'm planing on installing my EVO 850 but before that i have to backup and clone my drive. and the problem is that i'm not sure about my steps

can anyone just help me by providing the steps in how to do it, now my mac running the "OS X Yosemite" version 10.10.5.

1-What measures should i take before i start.
    2-HOW to clone and use the backup.
    3-Do i've to download softwares to do it.

-------

one more thing i've read that before installing the EVO 850 i might have to change the SATA cable is that TRUE ???

thank you.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What size hard drive do you have, and what size SSD have you bought?

3. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

4. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

i bought the SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO with 500GB.

[​IMG]

5. McGiord, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There are many different ways to perform the back up. It's all about how you want to perform it.

Can you connect the new SSD to your Mac as an external drive? If yes then you can simply use Disk Utility to perform a copy of your current HDD into the new SSD. You can use also Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to perform the cloning (this are not always free).

Another way is to make a Time Machine backup to your external HDD (assuming you have one), perform the HDD to SSD swap and then when you first boot restore the Mac from the TimeMachine back up.

If you don't have a backup drive this is the day to go out and buy one, do the back up and then perform the upgrade.

The WD ones are very affordable now and would work fine.

http://www.macworld.com/article/246...st-mac-apps-for-making-a-bootable-backup.html

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I always use disk utility as it copies the drive perfectly. The choice it totally yours though

7. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

its my lucky day i've just bought a WD 1T last night for stuff that i have but i guess i'm gonna use it to backup my drive.

thank you man, i appreciate your help.

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner v4 (has a fully functional 30 day trial) since it will also supports cloning the Recovery Partition. Check out the CCC User Guide if you have questions.