HELP REQUEST for MBP 2018 high end (fans activation)

califfo1975

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Hi everybody
I need please your feedback and help about the fans activation on MBP 2018.

I have a high end spec model with i9 and I have the strong feeling that the fans tend to activate more often than on my previous 2016 MBP (and effectively the shell is warm but not very hot) with relatively light usage.

I have updated high sierra 10.13.6 and performed the SMC reset: things seem a little bit better but I have still the strong impression that fans activate too often, e.g. when downloading, in parallel, updates or performing a virus barrier scan or when just using the very slow Nikon View NX-I.

I am still in the two weeks return period: this is my second unit as the first one had dead pixels: i returned the first before being able to appreciate a similar issue on fans during / after configuration.

1- Is there anything I could do (e.g launching tasks which are expected not to activate fans and see if they kick-in in my MBP) to understand if there is a hw issue with this unit?
2- May you please provide your feedbacks about your experience?

I might change it but i am very afraid about the flawed (dead pixel, banding, clouding,...) screens lottery and I want to be sure not to perform a change for nothing.

Thanks a lot for your help.

grillface

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I think this forum has people paranoid about heat and fan issues on the 2018 MBP. If the fans turn on it is because they have to because you (or something) are working the machine hard. That's it. Don't stress.

I have a 2018 15" 2.6 and the fans do spin up loudly when I am doing stressful things. This includes gaming, most things in Bootcamp, installing software, etc etc... That's it. It's normal. Enjoy your awesome machine!

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Its a fast CPU with aggressive clocks. If you have processes running that request a lot of processing time, the machine will get hot and the fans will kick in. This is expected. Next time you hear the fans, start the Activity Monitor and see if there is some processes which take a lot of CPU %. By the way, the tasks you describe (virus scanning, updating) — usually take a lot of CPU %. Camera software could as well - it depends on how it's written. Ultimately, this is a problem with software which attempts to grab all the CPU time it can get even if it doesn't need it. For instance, a virus scanner doesn't need to be a high-priority task. But if the developer codes it as one, there is not much you — or Apple — can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.