Help request !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nissan.gtp, Mar 22, 2012.

1. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

After getting back from a trip, i found that the glass over the LCD on the back of my D90 is broken :mad:. Everything still seems to work, but I want to get it fixed. Googled around, saw some youtube DIY repairs that look do-able, but I don't think I want to tackle it myself.

Any recommendations on where to get a good repair would be greatly appreciated, as would any info on cost (I anticipate it will be pricey).

thanks

PS. Makes me happy that I got Applecare+ for my iPhone.

2. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

I had exactly the same problem last year. Since I am not afraid of some DIY, I ordered a replacement window and adhesive tape from some internet company and followed the instructions from one of the videos. If you warm up the old glass evenly using a hair drier, you can remove it really easily. The whole job took less than 10 minutes, and the replacement parts cost some 10 to 20 $.

If you prefer to have some professional make the job, just ask your nearest respectable camera shop, they should be able to fix it for you, but probably not for less than 100 $.

3. nissan.gtp thread starter macrumors 6502

^thanks. does the glass come off without taking the back off the camera ??

Since my LCD is still working, I ordered this as a temporary measure.

4. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

The glass is simply glued to the body by double sided adhesive tape. You just need to warm it up to make the glue soft, and then you can peel it off the back panel. The various DIY videos show this quite well.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

6. nissan.gtp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input. Took mofunk's advice, dropped it off at Richmond Camera (a local place). Estimate is $200. That's ok since I should get back a "like new" camera. Only problem is they estimate it'll take 4-6 weeks. :(

7. nissan.gtp thread starter macrumors 6502

To close things out for future searchers in a similar unfortunate situation...

Got the camera back yesterday, total repair $210 (ouch). Have not done a full checkout, but checked a couple of quick shots and it's fine. Will add the new LCD protector just in case.