Help requested please for iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by corconx, Nov 3, 2011.

1. corconx macrumors newbie

Have updated my imac to Lion since returning home for a 2 month holiday.

I have just spent the best part of 2 days putting all my photos into events and now wish to copy some onto a DVD, BUT I want to preserve the event name, as they are going to a friend who produces a book on aires (for motorhomes) and a lot of these are new, so they will be used for publications.

I can't see an easy way to do it, export it and preserve info, but it doesn't preserve the event title - which means they wont be able to identify one aire from another (they do look much alike)....

Any thoughts please. I have usually done all this original into folders on an external hard drive and then copied them into iphoto, BUT I didn't this time....and I am lost

So folks can you please help me.

I could always upload them onto the web for them to download, but there are an awful lot of photos for that, and I normally send as a DVD

Would it keep the events separate if I use iDVD do you know? and still show the info from my picture which has the gps?

Too many questions perhaps, but I hope there is an easy way

Carol

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't think you are going to like my answer but here goes.

I never allow iPhoto to keep my photos in iPhoto Library. I changed the setting "copy to library" to off. But I'm still stuck with photostream stuffing my library full of pictures from day to day so I have a bit in common with your situation. Here's the part I don't think you're gonna like...

What I do is export photos to separate folders the same as they would be if I had used image capture or eyefi to send the pictures to my Mac. I create the folders as I export the photos, one event (or date range) at a time. I use the highest jpg quality and original size. You can skip this next part since you already have them in iPhoto events: I then re-import them to iPhoto which creates events with the dates I expect to see. In your case, you would already have folders by date (or whatever criteria you wish) and could simply burn them to DVD. The bad news is the labor involved in exporting them in the first place. Perhaps you can whip up an Applescript to automate this process.

Now for some (possible) better news. It is possible there might even be a better answer to your question. It is possible that exporting multiple events automatically creates multiple folders rather than throwing all the images in one big folder for you to somehow remember where they came from. I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment but you could test this very quickly.

Another option to consider is using the web. You can send them to Picasa or Flickr directly from iPhoto and I seem to remember that there is a modest annual fee that allows you to upload large amounts of data to flickr. So that's an "easy" option for you if you don't mind having your photos on the web.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm using iPhoto '08, and I can do what I think you want. Go to the screen that shows all events, and select one event. Then go to File-->Export..., and in the Export Photos window, find the File Name field and select Use Album from the drop-down.

Now when you export the photos, the first part of the filename will be the event name. (At least it works that way for me.) This works for albums, too.

Hope that helps. Regards,
    Brian33

4. corconx thread starter macrumors newbie

BRIAN thank you so much - it was basically what I tried, but I tried to do them all at once, that doesn't work, it has to be individually by event...

Cheers

Still doing them

Carol

----------

r0k

Thanks for yours, but Brians looked easier, so I have tried that and it is working.

Carol