Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reginald Perrin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Could really do with some help here.

I really need to use the application CorelDraw this weekend but suddenly, when I start the app it always "quits unexpectedly"

The first part of the report is:

Command: CorelDRAW 11
Path: /Applications/Corel Graphics 11/CorelDRAW 11.app/Contents/MacOS/CorelDRAW 11
Parent: WindowServer [56]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 11 (11)

PID: 261
Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

I would reinstall but do not have the disks with me. Any advice appreciated (have tried repairing permissions although I realise that this is not the appropriate course anyway).

Many thanks

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Saw this on the HardMac site (translated from French) and thought of you:

- Quicktime 7.2 and Rosetta Bug: How to Fix It - Lionel - 12:40:30 - Comments

Some readers have unfortunately experienced problems to launch Rosetta-dependent applications after having installed Quicktime 7.2.
The problem is in fact due to the beta version of Java 6 massively installed by users and developers, priori to Quicktime update.
To solve the problem with Rosetta, one simply needs to uninstall Java 6 and come back to the previous version Java 5.
All details are provided in the Apple forums.
An update for Quicktime or beta Java 6 should fix the issue in a near future.

[translation by Linathael]

Reginald Perrin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Gee - thanks for that but no java 6 here and I haven't installed any of the recent updates (10.4.10 and quicktime 7.2) because I am currently wholly reliant on this machine (MBP) functioning well and I'd heard of problems. Perhaps this is over cautious but cannot be the cause (?) of this Corel problem because it was working and has suddenly stopped.

Corel Photopaint starts up fine by the way.

Any more input?

(also, is 10.4.10 etc problem-free on an MBP not running the Safari beta etc).

Again, thanks

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Gee - thanks for that but no java 6 here and I haven't installed any of the recent updates (10.4.10 and quicktime 7.2) because I am currently wholly reliant on this machine (MBP) functioning well and I'd heard of problems. Perhaps this is over cautious but cannot be the cause (?) of this Corel problem because it was working and has suddenly stopped.

Corel Photopaint starts up fine by the way.

Any more input?

(also, is 10.4.10 etc problem-free on an MBP not running the Safari beta etc).

Again, thanks

Hmm. How about trying to shift the preference file out of the library? Sometimes a corrupt prefs file can cause this. Move the file /Library/Preferences/com.coreldraw.plist (or whatever it's called) to your desktop and try starting it up.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I had a problem with Corel products which was solved be either setting up a printer or deleting all of my printers and setting up another one. (Yes it really is that crap). I just set up a bogus ip printer and all was well.

Reginald Perrin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Bingo! Thanks xUKHCx that was just what the doctor ordered. Installed an IP printer and all is fine. Weird.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.