Help required - App quits unexpectedly - really need it this W/E!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reginald Perrin, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Reginald Perrin macrumors newbie

Could really do with some help here.

I really need to use the application CorelDraw this weekend but suddenly, when I start the app it always "quits unexpectedly"

The first part of the report is:

Command: CorelDRAW 11
    Path: /Applications/Corel Graphics 11/CorelDRAW 11.app/Contents/MacOS/CorelDRAW 11
    Parent: WindowServer [56]
    Rosetta: Yes

Version: 11 (11)

PID: 261
    Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

I would reinstall but do not have the disks with me. Any advice appreciated (have tried repairing permissions although I realise that this is not the appropriate course anyway).

Many thanks

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Saw this on the HardMac site (translated from French) and thought of you:

- Quicktime 7.2 and Rosetta Bug: How to Fix It - Lionel - 12:40:30 - Comments

Some readers have unfortunately experienced problems to launch Rosetta-dependent applications after having installed Quicktime 7.2.
    The problem is in fact due to the beta version of Java 6 massively installed by users and developers, priori to Quicktime update.
    To solve the problem with Rosetta, one simply needs to uninstall Java 6 and come back to the previous version Java 5.
    All details are provided in the Apple forums.
    An update for Quicktime or beta Java 6 should fix the issue in a near future.

[translation by Linathael]

3. Reginald Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Gee - thanks for that but no java 6 here and I haven't installed any of the recent updates (10.4.10 and quicktime 7.2) because I am currently wholly reliant on this machine (MBP) functioning well and I'd heard of problems. Perhaps this is over cautious but cannot be the cause (?) of this Corel problem because it was working and has suddenly stopped.

Corel Photopaint starts up fine by the way.

Any more input?

(also, is 10.4.10 etc problem-free on an MBP not running the Safari beta etc).

Again, thanks

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Hmm. How about trying to shift the preference file out of the library? Sometimes a corrupt prefs file can cause this. Move the file /Library/Preferences/com.coreldraw.plist (or whatever it's called) to your desktop and try starting it up.

5. Reginald Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again but, having tried moving the plist file, still no luck... bummer

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I had a problem with Corel products which was solved be either setting up a printer or deleting all of my printers and setting up another one. (Yes it really is that crap). I just set up a bogus ip printer and all was well.

7. Reginald Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo! Thanks xUKHCx that was just what the doctor ordered. Installed an IP printer and all is fine. Weird.

Cheers

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah it is weird, took me ages to find the solution when i had that problem. Glad you have got it working.